newby help please wr450f

Hi I have an 03 wr450f and there is a slow trickle of coolant coming out of the little hole in the bottom of the water pump eeep!

Ive looked in the manual and think i know whats needed but would like some advice please.

Water pump shaft seal

inner and outer bearings

Water pump housing gasket

crank case gasket

do i need anything else or is that it?

The job looks fairly straight forward, if im going to change the seal i may aswell change the bearings so remove the side of the crank case to get both bearings out. do these come out easy?

Is there anything to look out for or tips or tricks etc

any help, info and advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

I believe that you should only have to replace the oil seal, coolant side seal and the impeller shaft. The casing gasket should be ok to re-use, just be careful with it when you pull the case apart. If the bearings are ok, why bother replacing them? When i did mine, the impeller shaft had been worn by the seal, which caused the leak to start. Follow the manual and everything will be OK!

Cheers

Chris.

I had the same problem a year ago. I removed the case cover and replaced every seal, gasket, o-ring in that area. Bearings are in perfect shape, so didn't worrie about them. Total parts $20 US and about 3-hours labor. No Biggie....... Clean the bench off, put the bike on a stand, turn on Fuel TV, crack open a coldy and take your time. Mine hasn't leaked since. ?

Good Luck,

Are you insinuating that he should consume alcoholic beverages while repairing his highly technical vehicle?? :ride:?

Well, I never said it had to be Alchohol?...................?

Me, Hell yes and I'm not a big drinker kinda guy. Corona or Tecate with Tapatilo and a little Lime. Two-ata do it.:rant:

Actually, I installed my new Baja Designs Kit this weekend, w/ out one brewski. I was proud of myself.?

:worthy::prof:??:eek:

Well, I never said in had to be Alchohol?...................?

Me, Hell yes and I'm not a big drinker kinda guy. Corona or Tecate with Tapatilo and a little Lime. Two-ata do it.:prof:

Actually, I installed my new Baja Designs Kit this weekend, w/ out one brewski. I was proud of myself.?

:worthy::ride:??:rant:

Did you put the kit on the 05 or the 08?

05, it was a breez and got to use the stock head light. I understand that the 07 and 08's have the need for the BD head light kit? Must be because of the different plug design. Not real sure. When I do the 08, I'll try whatever I can to use the stock headlight again.

water pump replace everything when you are in there, most of the time the shaft and impeller are ok

5nl-12439-00-00 o ring

93109-11073-00-00 seal

93102-12106-00-00 seal

93306-00105-00-00 bearing

5nl-15462-00-00 case gasket

93101-14164-00-00 seal

and watch what way the seals come out there directional

pack the seals with bell ray waterproof grease