HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gotdirt33

off road vs motocross

9 posts in this topic

i was jw how the power is on a 2007 yz450f compared to a 2003 wr450f. I've ridden the wr450f often but was wondering how much of a difference the yz is to it. i was looking at getting the yz450f, but idk if it would kill me.

thanks guys,

ben

i was looking at getting the yz450f, but idk if it would kill me.

thanks guys,

ben

If you are riding a WR450 then you can certainly handle the YZ450 also. Yes, it will have more power and be snappier and more responsive to small modulations of the throttle but the '06 and newer YZ450's are remarkably smooth for MX bikes.

Well, my buddy bought a 07 WR450 when I bought my 07 YZ450 and there is no comparison when it comes to power. He did all of the unplug this and that, and it's still not even close. He was thinking they would be super close, then I let him ride the YZ, he was amazed in the difference. The YZ hit's harder and it's faster. We both had the same opinion.

As others have said, the late YZF's are very powerful, but also remarkably manageable. The bike is also far easier to maneuver at any speed by virtue of its much lower weight and superior frame layout.

The challenge will be in very low speed operation, where the tall first gear and low rotating mass of the MX engine will be a bit of a handicap, but this isn't as bad as some say.

1 person likes this

thanks everyone, i was just worried that everytime i get on the gas, the front wheel would be sky high, or is it fairly easy to control?

i mean i love all of the trick tech stuff in the 06+ yz's but i was wondering if maybe the yz250f would be a better choice? (easier to control? etc)

The 250F is easier to control. Almost mindlessly easy, and a lot of fun, too. A TT-R 125 is even easier yet, but....

But as soon as the trail widens out, the big bike is much more fun, and not having to keep the RPM up is always an endearing feature of having more displacement.

The late YZ450 throttle is almost exactly like a rheostat on an electric motor. You turn it up a little, you get a little more. Want more? Add more. the results are always predictable; just what you would expect.

Add the GYT-R off road flywheel and it gets even smoother at low speeds.

the more you talk about how great the yz450f is, the more i want it :thumbsup: haha. so the late yz450f's are even smoother than the 03 wr450f that i ride?

the more you talk about how great the yz450f is, the more i want it :thumbsup: haha. so the late yz450f's are even smoother than the 03 wr450f that i ride?

probably so, the 06+ model years are definitely quite awesome when it comes to the amount of power and smoothness of it's delivery. Like grayracer said, they are VERY predictable and well mannered. It's a strange combination of smoothness and a huge amount reserve of power that can really kick your ass if it's not treated with respect. Definitely easy to handle. Having seat experience on a wr450 the yz450 would be the next logical step for you. you'd probably find a 250f fun to ride for a while, but it would get you bored quite quickly, specially if you ride any open trails/roads or good sized hill climbs. I vote for a yz for you. :busted: