Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swaldrop

C-Clamp as a Valve Spring Compressor

7 posts in this topic

I looked around TT and found some vague info about how to get by without a real-deal valve spring compressor, but was unsuccessful in finding out how to do it exactly.

I have a c-clamp that will fit around the head nicely, but getting the spring down while exposing the keepers is a little tricky. Any brilliant ideas out there from anyone who has done it?

Thanks in advance

Find a piece of PVC pipe or fitting that fits down into the lifter bores, but will also bear against the spring retainer. Cut out the front of the tube so you can access the keepers, and use it with the clamp to compress the spring. This setup is "workable" but awkward at best, and you should have an extra set of hands to help hold things together.

also be sure to have a magnet or small needle nose pliers to grab the keepers. I prefer the magnet

Getting them out is easy. The fun is in putting them back.

Well, easy is relative as I have yet to get them out. I think I'll just order the 'right tool for the right job' and be done with it. Thanks for the tips though.

You can buy a TUSK valve spring compressor tool from Rockymountainatv.com for $35. It's a good cheap investment and I've read that it is a quality tool. I am going to get one when I need to work on my head (if that ever happens).

You can buy a TUSK valve spring compressor tool from Rockymountainatv.com for $35. It's a good cheap investment and I've read that it is a quality tool. I am going to get one when I need to work on my head (if that ever happens).

I have one and I highly recommend it. It's very simple, easy to use, and make working on the valves super easy.