HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroken

Will the WR 5-speed work for me?

6 posts in this topic

I purchased a YZ450F a few months ago. I love the bike, but miss the extra gear/range for mountain riding. Does anyone know if it's possible to swap out YZ/WR trannys???

I remember reading a post here about there still being enough room in the case for the fifth gear, i dont remember who or when it was though, have you tried doing a search??

The cases are smaller on the YZ. You would have to get a full wr bottom end to make it work. That's why Ty Davis use's a four speed in the Desert for now.

The cases are smaller on the YZ. You would have to get a full wr bottom end to make it work.

By bottom end, I'm guessing you mean new cases.

Where did you get this information BTW??

If what you are saying is true the YZ will have a totally different transmission, gears, shafts, shifting mechanism and everything.

I'm not doubting this is true, it just surprises me a bit.

Someone in the Industry was going to make a 5 speed kit for the YZ using WR parts and it wouldn't work. Thats how the info was passed on to me. Yamaha must have really been trying to save weight. Or maybe just trying to sell alot of WR's.