IMS tank 2007 YZ450 - fit not even close

I'm about ready to run the stock tank and carry gas on my back.

Attempted to install the IMS 3.2 tank on my 2007 YZ450 today. Unfortunately the radiator shrouds on both sides of the bike are a full inch from making contact with the radiator mount location.

Not sure if I have a defect, I can't see anything that is installed incorrectly. I do have a scotts damper which raises the front tank mount (near steering head) about 3/16". BUT I read on TT that many are running a damper with the IMS tank.

The bike is brand new so the radiators are not bent.

I also realized on my first trail ride last Sunday that I averaged 20 mpg, not gonna get too far on that.

I called IMS but they're closed, any advice would be appreciated.

Well I gave up on the IMS, I'm sending it back.

The IMS is the 3rd tank I've ordered for this bike. The first was a Clarke that leaked all over the place as soon as I added gas. I ordered a 2nd Clarke thinking I must have a received a reject and there was no way Clarke would produce a petcock mounting area as uneven as the first...... I was wrong, the 2nd tank was just as rounded off and uneven as the first tank. Just so I'm clear, the mounting area is not just a little uneven, it's completely uneven nowhere near close to flat.

It seems Clarke is incapable of providing the flat surface required to mount the petcock in a leak free manner during their manufacturing process. They are also incapable of pre-drilling the holes for the petcock. They leave it up the customer to purchase a belt sander to sand the petcock area flat and drill their own holes.

When I called them to inquire about all this they just told me to sand it down. In my opinion the only way to get the area truly flat is with a belt sander since you have the brass inserts to grind down as well. The brass inserts would make it very easy to hit the soft plastic while using a file, and end up uneven.

The Clarke actually fits the bike which is a plus. As far as I'm concerned both tanks suck, I just ended up with the one that sucks least.

I've owned Acerbis tanks for a DRZ and a WR in the past and both bolted right on like OEM, not one issue. I wish I liked the Acerbis tank available for the YZ450 but I'm just not into that design.

The first (tank) was a Clarke that leaked all over the place as soon as I added gas. I ordered a 2nd Clarke thinking I must have a received a reject and there was no way Clarke would produce a petcock mounting area as uneven as the first...... I was wrong, the 2nd tank was just as rounded off and uneven as the first tank. Just so I'm clear, the mounting area is not just a little uneven, it's completely uneven nowhere near close to flat.

It seems Clarke is incapable of providing the flat surface required to mount the petcock in a leak free manner during their manufacturing process. They are also incapable of pre-drilling the holes for the petcock. They leave it up the customer to purchase a belt sander to sand the petcock area flat and drill their own holes.

The locations for the petcock holes on the Clarke are clearly pre-dimpled and easily drilled. They are left undrilled so that the purchaser can decide how he wants to configure it. I had no particular problem with mine. I did run a large flat file over both petcock pads, but it wasn't the least bit difficult, and hasn't leaked a drop using the gaskets that came with the tank.

But the mounting holes on the tank are about 6mm too close together, and the tank is difficult to bolt down because of it. Otherwise, it works great.

My brother and I both have 07 YZ450's with the IMS 3.2 gallon tank. It is true that the bottom radiator shroud mount is about an inch away. The nice thing is the radiators are rubber mounted so all you have to do is pull them closer to the shroud and line up the bolt. We did this on both bikes and have them for over a year and a half now with no issues. This is a very popular tank, I remember they were back ordered for a long time. I really don't think you have a defect. IMS is a very reputable company. My dad had a tank on his bike for 4 years and it suddenly developed a small crack twords the top. IMS replaced it free of charge!

I've got an 08 YZ450F and an IMS 3.2gal tank and also didn't like the way the shrouds had to be curled under to get them bolted up to the lower radiator. I got a piece of 1/4" brake line,cut 2 spacers out of it, 2 longer bolts and washers for both sides of spacers. Now the shrouds fit perfect and you cant even tell the spacers are there.

Chevelle

The locations for the petcock holes on the Clarke are clearly pre-dimpled and easily drilled. They are left undrilled so that the purchaser can decide how he wants to configure it. I had no particular problem with mine. I did run a large flat file over both petcock pads, but it wasn't the least bit difficult, and hasn't leaked a drop using the gaskets that came with the tank.

But the mounting holes on the tank are about 6mm too close together, and the tank is difficult to bolt down because of it. Otherwise, it works great.

I was a little annoyed yesterday when I posted due to the circumstances, not sure if you could tell :busted: Drilling wasn't a big deal, but I'm pretty sure that everyone that buys the tank is going to need the left side drilled so why not have that done at the factory? I like the idea of only drilling the right if you're going run dual petcocks. On my 2 Acerbis tanks on my other bikes I never run the extra petcock fuel line but I still have the petcock sitting there (it is handy for giving my small tanked buddies some gas though ? ).

The belt sander was not difficult either, it took 2 minutes with my woman holding the tank while she got covered in plastic shavings :busted: I guess I just feel like if you spend $200 or so on a tank it should come ready to ride.

I appreciate all the responses. I don't mind the idea of longer bolts with spacers, but I'm not going to just tighten down longer bolts without spacers until the bike shroud contacts the radiator. Maybe IMS should include these with the tank as someone above mentioned. Mine did not come with spacers or longer bolts.

i had the IMS tank on my 2006 yz 450 and everything fit awesome BUT the seat bolt on the tank, it was off to the one side about 1/4 of a inch.. the shourds fit really really good and everyting work great but that one bolt..

so i got a clark tank and everything mounted up great but i have to say the only thing i dont like about it is that the top of the tank goes up high unlike the ims that is flatter..

and for the person that said his clark tank was leaking all over the place. DID you put the rubber gasket they gave you on the petcock?

i had the IMS tank on my 2006 yz 450 and everything fit awesome BUT the seat bolt on the tank, it was off to the one side about 1/4 of a inch.. the shourds fit really really good and everyting work great but that one bolt..

so i got a clark tank and everything mounted up great but i have to say the only thing i dont like about it is that the top of the tank goes up high unlike the ims that is flatter..

and for the person that said his clark tank was leaking all over the place. DID you put the rubber gasket they gave you on the petcock?

Yes I used the rubber gasket. The gasket was not enough to make up the difference in Clarke's finish work. I had to use a belt sander to stop the leak.