Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPilot03

New to TT, Just picked up 08' WR450F

32 posts in this topic

Hello all, just traded in my old 85' XR600R for a new 08' WR450F. Honda to yamaha but looks like a good trade :thumbsup: Did a little research on the forums before I dug into my new bike and got some awesome info on all sorts of stuff. Looks like a great place for Q and A. Look forward to chatting with all in the future. As of now I've done the GYTR kit - AIS removal, throttle stop, air box, grey wire, GYTR performance muffler insert, works F/A mixture screw, and jet kit. A little bit of work to tear into it but well worth the performance gains. My only thought was the jet kit the include in the GYTR kit, the main jet that the include in the kit is a #175 replacing the stock #162s which seams from the other posts a little rich. The guy at the Yamaha shop has had many WR450's and said that the jets they give you in the kit should be good to go. I know this jet issue has been talked about many times but just thought maybe there's been a change from previous years to the 08' ? Seems like a lot of the posts are on 05' - 06' stuff. Oh and I just wanted to post my excitement, this is my first new bike :ride: Haven't got a chance to take it to the trails yet but I will tomorrow cant wait :bonk: Oh and I picked up the 08' for a freakin steal at $6,000.00 OTD can't beat that price, just had to buy it.

oooh you must post post pics of the new baby girl!

congrats on the purchase and welcome to tt :thumbsup:

Alot better than the old XR, so much power with just the few mod's done. One awesome machine. :thumbsup:

Ah, that shiny new bike look - get out and get that thing dirty!

Welcome and enjoy!

Check out the Jetting Database in the Performance Index above, you'll see what a few peeps are using in their '07-08's. Most felt the GYTR kit was too rich (including the mags). I used the GYTR and just switched to 168/48 main/pilot and have no complaints. Except how quick I'm wearing out the rear tire!

Welcome to team Blue, im sure you will be happy with your new ride, and yes, you did get it at a steal, im jealous......

Hello all, just traded in my old 85' XR600R for a new 08' WR450F. Honda to yamaha but looks like a good trade :thumbsup: Did a little research on the forums before I dug into my new bike and got some awesome info on all sorts of stuff. Looks like a great place for Q and A. Look forward to chatting with all in the future. As of now I've done the GYTR kit - AIS removal, throttle stop, air box, grey wire, GYTR performance muffler insert, works F/A mixture screw, and jet kit. A little bit of work to tear into it but well worth the performance gains. My only thought was the jet kit the include in the GYTR kit, the main jet that the include in the kit is a #175 replacing the stock #162s which seams from the other posts a little rich. The guy at the Yamaha shop has had many WR450's and said that the jets they give you in the kit should be good to go. I know this jet issue has been talked about many times but just thought maybe there's been a change from previous years to the 08' ? Seems like a lot of the posts are on 05' - 06' stuff. Oh and I just wanted to post my excitement, this is my first new bike :ride: Haven't got a chance to take it to the trails yet but I will tomorrow cant wait :bonk: Oh and I picked up the 08' for a freakin steal at $6,000.00 OTD can't beat that price, just had to buy it.

WHAT...... Have you done all that before trying the bike out?

I just bought one too!

wr450f.jpg

I ordered the kit from TT to remove the emissions stuff. I also ordered all the cool Sunline blue billet parts, FMF exhaust , and the ASV levers :thumbsup: Love the bike! congrats on yours.

Yup, just got one myself. Had a kid a few years back and switched from my 426 ('01?) to a triumph thruxton 900 road bike. Just switched back. Researching free mods now...

http://a907.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/102/l_aac8c30c5fd65502f518a4bac1c8195a.jpg

^virginal! (now I have to learn how to attach pics.)

hey Greg, nice to see you on TT!

to post a pic:

picture url

and it comes out like:

l_aac8c30c5fd65502f518a4bac1c8195a.jpg

I should grab a shot with it looking like it got hit by a truck: subframe and shock off!

Congrats! I have had mine for about 3 weeks and love it. Headed out to the garage right now to do the AIs removal.

The bike is running great, Had it on the track a few times at my buddies house and on the trails twice. Couldn't be happier with it. I went back in and replaced the main jet to a #168 as most people are running and seams to do a bit better. All is well in WR land for me.

DSC01019-1.jpg

IMG_5085-2.jpg

IMG_5089-2.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5113.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

IMG_5117.jpg

LOL. Just finished the jetting and the air/fuel screw...

Put the shock back in and the subframe on... then I saw the o-rings in the baggie. I'll be removing the shock and subframe tomorrow night to do the accelerator pump. So close!

FR skidplate and radguards should go on quick...

/venting.

LOL. Just finished the jetting and the air/fuel screw...

Put the shock back in and the subframe on... then I saw the o-rings in the baggie. I'll be removing the shock and subframe tomorrow night to do the accelerator pump. So close!

FR skidplate and radguards should go on quick...

/venting.

It takes some time, but you can install the o-ring w/o taking the whole bike apart. Removing the seat, gas tank, and cylinder head mounts will give you enough room to do the o-ring mod while the carb is still in the bike.

I took mine apart to do the mod's the day I got it home. It did take awhile to figure out the best way to get at everything, but in the end it's worth all the work.