Trading a 2003 WR450F for a 2005 WR250F, how much should I pay?

Hi All, I want to trade my 2003 WR450F for a WR250F. I found a dealership that has a mint 2005 WR250F with only 19 miles on it. It is pretty much stock except for a aluminum skid plate and Powermadd hand guards and the listing price is $4,000. I am hoping there is some wiggle room in the price. Now I have a 2003 WR450F that has the following mods and is in great condition:

- Fluidyne Radiators(right side was repaired by Mylers so not 100% mint)

- Boyesen Quikshot Accelerator Pump Cover

- Hyde Racing teflon polymer skid plate

- Acerbis Rally hand guards

- Twin Air Power flow airfilter

- ODI lock on grips

- YZ fender

- FMF Q exhaust

- FMF powerbomb header

Plus I have brand new radiator shrouds, Factory Effex EVO4 graphics, YZ front number plate, and aluminum fuel screw to install. The bike is clean, and I just finished regreasing suspension linkage, changing all fluids, and repacking exhaust with Moose Silent Sport Premium Packing. No problems starting, running, and riding. Plus I am going to try to get it NJ titled to make it more marketable. In my opinion with all these upgrades the bike is better than new in terms of performance and is 95% in terms of cosmetics.

Now my question is how much extra should I pay to make the trade? Do you think that paying $500 would be fair and reasonable? Or am I too low?

I would not do a deal asking the dealer to buy back my existing bike or take it in on trade. The dealer will put profit margins on what he's selling to you (higher price) and also on what he's getting from you (lower price)

Sell your bike outright first or look for someone to trade with. For every guy like you (and me) wanting to trade down, there's always another guy wanting to trade up.

If you do decide to sell to the dealer, then put the stock pipe back on, remove your hand guards, put the original wr headlight and tail light back on. These things add no value to your trade in and you could get a couple hundred bucks for the pipe and header.

listen to the comment above, don't trade your bike with the dealer, they WILL rip you off. if you really want to go with a 250, sell your bike on your own, you'll get more $ for it. you might even post it on craigslist or something, and be able to trade someone for their 250 and have THEM pay you for the trade. and just out of curiosity, why would you go down to a 250? think about that very carefully, if you're already used to your 450, the 250 might become a very bad disappointment after a few rides.

I can relate somewhat to wanting to trade down to a 250. Its more fun for the guy not interested in going fast. I have busted my ass many times on that 450.

If I knew someone who would trade me straight up a plated wr250 or crf250x for my plated wr450 and it had all the extras and goodies that I have on my bike, I would seriously consider it. I'd put the Athena 290 kit in it and then go have some fun

listen to the comment above, don't trade your bike with the dealer, they WILL rip you off. if you really want to go with a 250, sell your bike on your own, you'll get more $ for it. you might even post it on craigslist or something, and be able to trade someone for their 250 and have THEM pay you for the trade. and just out of curiosity, why would you go down to a 250? think about that very carefully, if you're already used to your 450, the 250 might become a very bad disappointment after a few rides.

Yeah, trading into a dealer would primarily appeal to my laziness and impatience with selling my bike myself. But you guys are definitely right I should sell the bike myself.

I have only had the bike for a year now and I am definitely not used to the power. The only reason why I bought it was because I got such an awesome deal for it. I should have bought a 250 in the first place and then worked my way up. The 2003 especially with all the upgrades has got a strong kick to it plus it is pretty top heavy. I think for now I will be happy with a slimmed down 2005 WR250F.

I guess tomorrow I am going to snap some photos and start placing some adds on TT, cycletrader, and Craigslist. Actually, I was scanning through Craigshelper(a search engine for Craigslist in multiple regions) and found some 250s that would probably be in the same price range I could sell my bike for.

Yeah, trading into a dealer would primarily appeal to my laziness and impatience with selling my bike myself. But you guys are definitely right I should sell the bike myself.

I have only had the bike for a year now and I am definitely not used to the power. The only reason why I bought it was because I got such an awesome deal for it. I should have bought a 250 in the first place and then worked my way up. The 2003 especially with all the upgrades has got a strong kick to it plus it is pretty top heavy. I think for now I will be happy with a slimmed down 2005 WR250F.

I guess tomorrow I am going to snap some photos and start placing some adds on TT, cycletrader, and Craigslist. Actually, I was scanning through Craigshelper(a search engine for Craigslist in multiple regions) and found some 250s that would probably be in the same price range I could sell my bike for.

I can relate. The only reason why I bought a wr450 was because the wr250 wasn't green sticker at the time and the honda guys were complaining about valve issues on the crf250x. No worries though, I would just take it slow and have some fun while learning.

After my first year with my wr450, I already had a broken arm and a broken foot as a testament to the fun I was having. I was definitely riding outside my limits. Many people do just fine on 450's, and maybe I was the exception. If I was as smart as you, I would have done the same thing.

I think a 250 four stroke with a big bore kit would be real nice compromise.

I've been lucky not to get hurt on my wr450 or yz450, in fact I've never fallen off either bike at any considerable speed whatsoever. The only falls I've had have been when the bike is barely even moving, but I guess I'm the exception when it comes to that. Two years of riding and no serious get offs from any bike, and I hope to keep it that way. My dad on the other hand, has only been riding for a little over a year and he has had some serious injuries so far, no broken bones yet, but a couple of dislocations(knee, shoulder). There's no way I'm ever trading down to a 250, but I understand and respect someone that does want to do that to feel safer and enjoy their riding more. Kudos to you for trying to stay safe while still having fun.

Ok, are there really someone trading down because of to much power, heck, get a longer throttlestop and adjust it to 3/4 or 1/2 throttle and open it up when feeling safer and wanting more power.

It aint more difficult than that.

Ok, are there really someone trading down because of to much power, heck, get a longer throttlestop and adjust it to 3/4 or 1/2 throttle and open it up when feeling safer and wanting more power.

If it were only that easy. I am also looking for a bike that has a lower center of gravity, less weight, easier manueverability in tight and technical single track. The 2005 and younger WR's have both those benefits and being an out of shape, novice rider, and having a 30 inch inseam I need every advantage I can get. I am not making excuses it's just a reality of my life that I have very little free time and when I do get the chance to ride I want it to be as enjoyable as possible. Trust me I wish I had more time to workout and work on my bike skills.

Actually, it isn't that simple. Give us a little more credit.

...I am also looking for a bike that has a lower center of gravity, less weight, easier manueverability in tight and technical single track. The 2005 and younger WR's have both those benefits and being an out of shape, novice rider, and having a 30 inch inseam I need every advantage I can get. I am not making excuses it's just a reality of my life that I have very little free time and when I do get the chance to ride I want it to be as enjoyable as possible. Trust me I wish I had more time to workout and work on my bike skills.

Ditto... Choosing the correct bike is not as simple as getting the most powerful bike you can and not riding so fast. Different bikes are better suited for different riders, riding styles, terrain, etc...

Personally, I prefer riding in the tight technical 1st and 2nd gear technical terrain. A 250 would be better for that than my 450.

Its just a matter of preference.

Actually, it isn't that simple. Give us a little more credit.

Ditto... Choosing the correct bike is not as simple as getting the most powerful bike you can and not riding so fast. Different bikes are better suited for different riders, riding styles, terrain, etc...

Personally, I prefer riding in the tight technical 1st and 2nd gear technical terrain. A 250 would be better for that than my 450.

Its just a matter of preference.

I guessed power was the issue because power was mentioned as the reason to trade. Yeah diff bikes for diff people, hope you find a good one.

I guessed power was the issue because power was mentioned as the reason to trade. Yeah diff bikes for diff people, hope you find a good one.

Yeah, I guess I was not totally descriptive in all my reasons and for sure I have multiple reasons for wanting to switch. Thanks for the well wishes, I too hope things work out for both me and Mauricedorris.