water sucking wr450

First time on my 06 wr450, dunked it in a knee deep river very briefly. There was instantly water in the oil. One of my mates did the same thing with same result. The main engine breather routes directly to the bottom of the airbox. Apart fom the obvious (don't drop it in the river), are there any easy solutions such as re-routing the breather or attaching an engine breather filter? Cheers, Rod.

Check to see if your breather tube is routed high up over the engine before going to the airbox.

It routes straight to the bottom of the air box from the top of the cylinder head. Any water that gets into the air box, goes straight down the breather. A very poor design for an enduro bike. I hve been advised not to use a one way valve as it could blow engine seals.

Similar deal for me on my 07 WR450, just into a deep "puddle", and the engine almost quit, lots of sputtering, lost momentum, and wet feet.

Why can't all those vent hoses be routed up high, say to the top of the airbox area? Do the hoses have to drop low like that?

I am curious to see possible solutions here.

Similar deal for me on my 07 WR450, just into a deep "puddle", and the engine almost quit, lots of sputtering, lost momentum, and wet feet.

Why can't all those vent hoses be routed up high, say to the top of the airbox area? Do the hoses have to drop low like that?

I am curious to see possible solutions here.

if you have removed your AIS system, could you not route the hose to that location ???

on my 08 its at the top !

cheers

warts

i have an 07 wr450f with the same problem. i Trimed the hoses so they only hang down less then an inch from the bottom of the frame. As well ihave taken out the small baffel and disconnected the grey wire. The problem has gotten better and the bike can go through alot deeper water. However on my 426 i had the hoses re routed up into the air box and the bike never stalled in water so i am gonna do the same thing with this one i think when i get the time. hope this helps

I've yet to move them, thinking there may be an intelligent :thumbsup: reason Yamaha engineers put them down low. However, If you have them up high in the airbox on the '08.... I'm going to move them.

Thanks

The inteligent reason from Yamaha is that it is cheaper to route the hoses where they are than to fix the problem. I routed the carb crossover vents up along the frame spar under the tank and put a Tee fitting in the breather hose at the valve cover to cylinder head level and routed it up behind the radiator. This will break any suction that is develop by the single hoses. Also if you don't like that option then just remove the AIS and move the breather to the top of the airbox instead. :thumbsup: WR Dave

Cool, I must be on the right track. I was going to re-route the main breather to the top of the airbox and plug the hole. i came across another rider with the 05, and the previous owner had zip tied all the carb vents back up. When i tried this, the engine started running a bit fast. Should have stuck with my Kato 520, gave that bike a good dunking with no problems.