HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zach400f

YZF400 still not starting

8 posts in this topic

I changed my spark plug, And I am still having problems starting my YZF400. With the old spark plug in it was back firing and not staring, The spark plug also looked very fouled out and it had black crust on it. I changed the spark plug and still not starting. Since Ive had the bike its only ran twice. I need help.:thumbsup:

have you had a valve job done on the bike or has it had one since new. I would say if it hasent it is well over due for a complet top end rebuild. Most of the starting issues are from poor comprestion and tight or loose valves.

Before you jump into a top end, check for the basics. Air, fuel, and spark. All of these must be present to run an internal combustion engine.

Yup, check the basics like stated above, you already changed the spark plug, but did you check for spark? I would take the carb off and clean the starter/pilot/and main jets, they tend to clog if sitting for a while, then if it still does not start, take the valve cover off and check the valve gaps, if they are too tight or too loose you will have a horribly hard time starting it.

You mentioned since you've had the bike it's only run twice. Have you owned a four stroke MX bike before, or is this your first one? Are you twisting the throttle when you start it? If so, that may be your problem.

The FCR carburetor on a four stroke MX bike has an accelerator pump which squirts a jet of fuel when you twist the throttle. If you twist the throttle too many times without the engine running, there's a good chance of flooding it and getting your plug saturated with fuel. In warm weather, I recently learned that one twist of the throttle prior to kicking is enough to flood my 426.

If you know for sure that your plug is dry and you aren't twisting the throttle, and you still can't get it to start, all the suggestions above are worth looking into. Verify you have spark, clean the carb, and then the next step would be to check the valves.

You mentioned since you've had the bike it's only run twice. Have you owned a four stroke MX bike before, or is this your first one? Are you twisting the throttle when you start it? If so, that may be your problem.

The FCR carburetor on a four stroke MX bike has an accelerator pump which squirts a jet of fuel when you twist the throttle. If you twist the throttle too many times without the engine running, there's a good chance of flooding it and getting your plug saturated with fuel. In warm weather, I recently learned that one twist of the throttle prior to kicking is enough to flood my 426.

If you know for sure that your plug is dry and you aren't twisting the throttle, and you still can't get it to start, all the suggestions above are worth looking into. Verify you have spark, clean the carb, and then the next step would be to check the valves.

I agree with your comments accept that your bike is a 426, not a 400. There are differences between years (such as the '98 400 and '99 400 starting procedure being quite different from each other).

My '99 400f takes at least 5 pumps of the throttle (since new it was like this) to light it when cold.

Sometimes it just pops once or twice, then doesn't start using the prescribed procedure. Then it's probably flooded, so I give it 1/4 throttle or so when kicking it (with no more priming of the throttle), and it ALWAYS starts 1st or 2nd try of that!

Warm, it always starts 1st kick with hot start.

Don't blame compression loss without doing a leak down test (see a shop).

Most starting troubles are either carb problems or ignition issues (assuming you are using the correct techniques).