Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brent426

426 cam slip? how to tell

3 posts in this topic

First of all thanks for all the replies on my last few questions. This site is great. This 426 that I am rebuilding is giveing me a few questions after reading some of these forms. The motor blew the top end and I am reusing the oe cams. I dont mind the starting process with the exhaust cam either. Anyway from what I have been reading my cam my have slipped when it locked up. Does anyone have pics where the lobes should line up when the cams are positioned correctly in the head? Also I have a lincon mig welder and can I put a couple tacks without any issues to keep them in place.

My intake cam on my 2000 426 slipped about 4 1/2 teeth. I did some searching and found that if they are correctly degreed that with the timing marks lined up both sets of lobes will face opposite (exhaust faced forward and intake faced rearward) and both sets of lobes will point up slightly. Not - - but \ / . That illustration is a bit extreme but you get the point. I am just waiting to order my new Hot Cams so i can put mine back together.

First of all thanks for all the replies on my last few questions. This site is great. This 426 that I am rebuilding is giveing me a few questions after reading some of these forms. The motor blew the top end and I am reusing the oe cams. I dont mind the starting process with the exhaust cam either. Anyway from what I have been reading my cam my have slipped when it locked up. Does anyone have pics where the lobes should line up when the cams are positioned correctly in the head? Also I have a lincon mig welder and can I put a couple tacks without any issues to keep them in place.

If you think that the cam gear slipped on the shaft then replace the cams. You can find a set on eBay for next to nothing. Or upgrade to a set of hot cams , I have a set and they are excellent for more mid range torque!