after market exhaust worth it?

Hey guys! I'v done the searches but have not found the answers I;m looking for.

I have looke at a few dyno graphs of after market exhausts vs stock and have only seen about a 1.5hp difference in the midrange.Is this worth the money of a pipe(more low to mid would be a plus) but at +- 1.5ish hp am I even going to notice it.(surely the dyno graphs dont lie)

I'd like to know about aftermarket exhausts for my '01 WR426 also, as I crashed and bent up the headpipe on my stock system.

Seems exhaust systems for my '01 bike are getting scarce, guessing it's because it's 7 years old.

I have a Pro Moto Billet exhaust tip on it the stock system, which helps. But if I pull out the baffle altogether, it's MUCH faster. But WAY too loud.

So would hope an aftermarket exhaust would give better power than stock, while still not being too loud.

Nw if I could just find an affordable system.....

Maybe the 450 pipes fit(basic same motor I think) Why not try get a 450 standard header.I know there is not much resale value in stock exhausts as many guys sit with the spare pipe after they have put their aftermarket on.

I have heard/ or read somewhere that some guys "gut" the standard pipe and that also gives slightly more power MUCH cheaper.

I would say it is the second best thing that, you can do to a WR besides the suspension! When I put on my FMF set up it felt like my bike could finally breath.? The WR felt way more snappy and YZ like. You can do it a little cheaper by getting a used 450 header on TT or E bay.

Hey guys! I'v done the searches but have not found the answers I;m looking for.

I have looke at a few dyno graphs of after market exhausts vs stock and have only seen about a 1.5hp difference in the midrange.Is this worth the money of a pipe(more low to mid would be a plus) but at +- 1.5ish hp am I even going to notice it.(surely the dyno graphs dont lie)

Before buying a new exhaust, have you tried open the stock one up.

I cut mine up, removed the peashooter and the pipe inside that and welded a 34mm wide and 20mm long pipe where I'd cut it up.

In this 34mm pipe I can slide in different kinds and sizes of pipes and test my way to a for me good compromice between sound and power.

I'm on my third model now and I'm getting closer and closer to my "perfect" exhaust setup.

Stock it's a lot of power trapped in there and wide open is to loud and in my meaning not enough resistance and the engine have bad top end power.

It's fun tinkering with this and amazing what small changes does to the sound.

Right now my setup is producing a very "snappy" sound and it's the best setup this far.

On my 02 WR426 it was chalk and cheese. Not sure how it would look on the dyno, but in terms of seat of the pants, depending on what one you get, it makes a massive difference. If I was to buy another bike the main big mods I'd made would be suspension and exhaust.

I put a header from a 2000 YZ 426 with a silencer from an 08 YZ 450 and it's a totally different bike. Huge bottem end gains:applause: ? They bolted right up and a heck of alot cheaper than any after market stuff.:ride::bonk:?

I bought a stock YZ muffler and OMG! An MX muffler is a must. A dyno really doesn't give credit unless you are really adding power. What you need to see is the bone-stock line and the completely de-restricted line with a nice pipe. The over-all power does change a lot and it comes on a lot sooner and holds a lot longer. Where mine was choking down in 2nd, now it will nearly stand up when I roll on the throttle. I can see where guys are buying a YZ cam and using the stock muffler but I can't with a MX muffler unless they have a lot of room.

I agree with the other posts. I picked up a "like new" YZ exaust on ebay for cheap. After rejetting and installing the Pro Moto S/A it was like a different bike. Much snappier with great throttle response. I was going to go with an aftermarket exhaust but after hearing good reviews about the YZ exhaust I figured I'd give it a shot. Four years later its still on the bike and I see no need to change. Look around and if you find one for a good price I would jump on it.

The exhaust thing does make a huge difference. I did a full fmf system, and rejetted and it woke my bike up big time. The thing to consider though is whether its worth it to you? These bikes make pretty good power in their stock form. People complain all the time about them, but My buddy routinely spanks me on his older stock wr, and I have a really tricked out 07.

well done mikey,a honest guy admits its rider skill and bike that counts,10 points for you bud! I think I will try this pipe thing although I cant use ALL the power its got anyway:ride:

My bike came with the GYTR "official" Yam slip on. My friends have nicknamed it the "Getter" it sounds amazing and I know from riding a friends stocker 04 It has some incredible bottom end snap over stock.

I noticed even pulling wheelies is easier with the yz muffler too, i guess it's more power and more controllable, and no doubt a better driver can still beat us but i love to have all the extra power there, and would love even more, more, more, hehe

Well I've had a stock yz muffler and a PMB spark arrestor end cap for a few years now and can say that it is a little better than the uncorked wr can. It's not much different in power delivery, but is much lighter and a tiny bit quieter. Tonight however I just got the steal of the century! I bought a hardly used (3 rides the guy claims) FMF Ti 4 slip on and a Ti powerbomb header. I'm not too crazy about the Titanium because it isn't that durable, but for $150 I couldn't resist. I will test it out soon and let you guys know how it goes. Hopefully it's not too loud, he gave me a quiet core as well so I will be able to use that if it is.

These retail for over $200 I think:

P5260219.jpg

These retail for well over $300:

P5260217.jpg

I got both for $150 SCORE!?

I put a Jardine end can with standard front pipe and standard jetting on my WR400F 2000 & don't need a dino to tell me she pulls much better from botton to mid range. She's was alot louder but I made an insert up and she's not much louder than standerd but with a better sounding exhaust note & still pulls