2004 450 stator info?

Hi all, I've recently moved up to BC and have a 04 wr450 with a baja designs dual sport kit, problem is whenever i use the lights the bike runs the battery down then splutters. I read that there was a mod to the stator needed but have no info, anyone know anything about it.......thanks, adam:confused:

yes there is a mod. i just did it and now all the battery does is all the lights. basically after the mod it takes the dual wound stator you currently have now (1 wound charges the battery, the other does the lights) and makes it to one wound. the one wound charges the battery. i can email the instructions i have to you if you want.

yes every thing works. you still have electric start. Jason your stock stator wil not put out enough wattage to supply a lightkit and a battery.Your battery will die every ride. Making your dual wound stator into a one wound stator allows more wattage to be able to be put out and it wont drain the battery. Pm me if you would like the directions im going to scan them right now.

Hey guys, I have heard that when you mod the WR's stator you want to make sure the battery never dies. If it does they say you wont be able to kick start the bike. Dont know if it's true, but heard it through a good source.

Hey guys, I have heard that when you mod the WR's stator you want to make sure the battery never dies. If it does they say you wont be able to kick start the bike. Dont know if it's true, but heard it through a good source.

Not with my '06. blew a fuse to the battery and I could still kick start it. Same with a dead battery:excuseme:

Cool Banana's man, not sure how to pm you roushxteam so maybe you could send an attachment or something...computors not my thing. Would definatley like the info though. The bit about having a dead bike isnt very appealing though as I use my WR on exploring rides out into the wilds on my own regularly. Perhaps a more powerful stator would be worth the investment ? But that said if you are having success I'll try the home fix first, cheers, Adam

Cool Banana's man, not sure how to pm you roushxteam so maybe you could send an attachment or something...computors not my thing. Would definatley like the info though. The bit about having a dead bike isnt very appealing though as I use my WR on exploring rides out into the wilds on my own regularly. Perhaps a more powerful stator would be worth the investment ? But that said if you are having success I'll try the home fix first, cheers, Adam

yup got your pm and responded. i just rode over 120 miles today with no problems. all i have to say dont do 85 with knobby tires its a little scketchy

Hi man, I saw you sent me a message but the comp I'm using wont open it up , it says something not right about pop ups whatever they are?

Anyhows I'm of for a few days riding this weekend into the mountains so if u could email me the info it would be great. 85..............thats slow man, back home we gear the wr 450s to do at least 100 but run the knobbied down to the string, no hassle on the streets, no lights or funny stuf needed, just a bit o madness, ha ha. thanks for the help on this roush, Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi roush, I am still looking for the info on the stator rewiring. Solved the headlight problem last ride with a good 4th gear getoff and a busted headlight from being roosted, just bent renthals, and light, and bruises to rider, Bike took it well. Was riding in Squamish BC, Radical stuff, lots of bike launching up the rock faces, lots of very tired riders and scratched n banged up bikes. Home now n looking to get the 450 street legal for more sedate riding again so anyone with instructions on how to rewire the stator please pass them on, thanks all, Adam.