07 wr450 oil change amount?

Hey guys, I was just wondering how much oil you guys put in you 07/08 wr450's. Whenever I put a whole quart in, the thing pisses out oil from the breather in the air box. ***. I have been using about 80% of a quart for a month now, but I don't know if that's right. Any help would be appreciated. 07/08's only though, the 06 and older have a different setup.

Are you opening both drain plugs and taking out the dipstick to vent the case while draining? I found out the hard way that it likes to be vented. After that...it takes just what the manual specifies.

Are you opening both drain plugs and taking out the dipstick to vent the case while draining? I found out the hard way that it likes to be vented. After that...it takes just what the manual specifies.

and make sure to stand bike upright to drain both sides. Note: 07 - 08 are different from the older models

+1... :thumbsup:

Just changed the oil on my '07 this weekend. It required exactly what the manual stated. I remove the fill cap, dipstick cap, both drain bolts, and the oil filter cover. I usually lean my bike from side to side to get as much old oil out as possible.

Are you replacing your oil filter every oil change? If not, it wont require as much oil.

From the manual for a wrf 250 2007:

periodic oil change 1.1 litre (0.97 imp. qt, 1.16 US qt)

with oil filter replacement 1.2 litre (1.06 imp. qt. 1.27 US qt)

Hope this helps.

I have a stupid question maybe someone can answer. I just bought an 08 wr450 also and they tell me to use the yamalube oil. Why can't I use the old 10w40 you get a pep boys or autozone? I remember as a kid using the same oil in my bike as my dad did in his truck.

I have a stupid question maybe someone can answer. I just bought an 08 wr450 also and they tell me to use the yamalube oil. Why can't I use the old 10w40 you get a pep boys or autozone? I remember as a kid using the same oil in my bike as my dad did in his truck.

The only stupid thing is to not ask and go around in some bubble believing you know everything:thumbsup:

This is copied from my wr426 manual:

"""(For USA and CDN)

At 5 °C (40 °F) or higher

Yamalube 4 (20W-40) or SAE 20W-40 type SH

motor oil (Non-Friction modified)

At 15 °C (60 °F) or lower

õ

Yamalube 4 (10W-30) or SAE 10W-30 type SH

motor oil (Non-Friction modified) and/or

Yamalube 4-R (15W-50) (Non-Friction modified)

(Except for USA and CDN)

API “SH” or higher grade"""

I guess it's only your dealer that wants to squeeze some extra $$ from you but you make your own choice what to put in there.

I myself runs Texacos motex 4t-X 10W-40(non friction modified).

Worked good for me and I think you can run whatever you want and like, as long as the specs are same or better than manual says, and very important,-change often and it will turn out OK.

Your clutch plates will not like the energy conserving oil type used in motor vehicles, you may not feel any immediate problems but down the line is a diffrent story.

Hey guys, I was just wondering how much oil you guys put in you 07/08 wr450's. Whenever I put a whole quart in, the thing pisses out oil from the breather in the air box. ***. I have been using about 80% of a quart for a month now, but I don't know if that's right. Any help would be appreciated. 07/08's only though, the 06 and older have a different setup.

same thing happend to me the first time i changed the oil... i forgot that there are 2 drain plugs one one the left and one on the right.

Generally, most if not all automotive oils have friction modifiers...bad for wet clutches in bikes. There's lots of other bike oil out there that's going to be the same or better than yamalube. They're probably just relabeling someone else's oil anyway...

Just changed the oil on my '07 this weekend. It required exactly what the manual stated. I remove the fill cap, dipstick cap, both drain bolts, and the oil filter cover. I usually lean my bike from side to side to get as much old oil out as possible.

Are you replacing your oil filter every oil change? If not, it wont require as much oil.

+1 and amount of oil was exactly as my 07 450 manual stated.

I wish the process was like the old days, 1 drain plug and a dipstick on the filler, but I like the new bike power, so fair trade I guess.

I have the same problem. I drain both plugs, oil filter, take off oil dipstick, open oil fill and lean bike from side to side. I only get just shy of a litre out. What the heck is going on?

I have the same problem. I drain both plugs, oil filter, take off oil dipstick, open oil fill and lean bike from side to side. I only get just shy of a litre out. What the heck is going on?

Are you runing the bike for like 5 minutes before draining? That is what the manuel for the TT-R says to do, that might help.

ya its good to get the bike warmed up first because then the viscosity of the oil is alot thinner and will drain out much faster and you'll get more out.just watch when you pull out the drain plug you dont get the oil on your hands because itll be pretty toasty

yes I allway's run the bike before an oil change, next time i am going to tip the bike not only from side to side but put the bike up in the front than up in the back.

ya its good to get the bike warmed up first because then the viscosity of the oil is alot thinner and will drain out much faster and you'll get more out.

Thats what I thought, I just didn't know if it was different for a dry sump bike. :ride: