Help with chains and sprockets.

Hey everybody

I've got a 2003 yz 450f and I've recently pulled a link from the chain because it is stretching so bad. It's probably time for a new one.

I do about 90% of my riding on a track and the other 10% on trails.

What do you suggest for a good quality chain? I like the gearing so I will replace the sprockets with the same amount of teeth. What is a good quality sprocket?

What is the difference between an o-ring and z-ring chain?

Thanks

Earl

"Z" rings, "X" rings, and other variations such as these use seals that have cross sections resembling those letters, rather than a simple round O-ring. The idea is to have the "points" of the letter shapes act as seal lips to reduce drag and improve sealing. Whether the sealing is improved is somewhat debatable, and while the seal drag may be reduced, it's really not a very big deal in the first place.

I recommend and use the Regina ORN6. It's a reasonably priced, extremely durable chain, and an excellent value. I also use Tag Metals aluminum rear sprockets. They are hard anodized, and wear quite well compared to other aluminum rears, and they are light, and priced right.

Any good qualtiy sealed chain, and I vote for a steel rear sprocket of some sort. Aluminum just doesn't last long enough for me personally. There are heavy and cheap steel rears that last great, or light weight but more expensive steel rears that also last very long. The best chain I ever used was the DID ERV2 (I think they have the ERV3 out now), you pay more but that thing lasted extremely well.

There's piles of threads here on sprockets and chains, searching around will give you piles of information. ?

I looked at the Chains you all recommended and I have one more question.

Regina has a 520 ORS6 that has a higher tensile strength then the ORN6. Would this translate into a tougher longer lasting chain?

earl

Not really, since the tensile strength of a chain as strong as either of them is far beyond what's really needed.

The principal difference is in the connecting links. The ORS6 uses a rivet typ link that must be peened or staked in place, and should be done with a specialized tool.

The ORN6 uses a clip type link that does require some type of clamping tool to press it fully together, but is retained by a more typical clip.

The ORS6 is also slightly wider and heavier.

The reason chains "stretch" is virtually always due to wear within the bushings and pins, and almost never a matter of plastic stretching of the metal plates. Far too much is made of tensile strength in most cases where quality chains are being considered.

I've had good experience with DID, and bad experience with a chain I won't mention, but is pronounced Tsubaki. And not so good experience with RK also. But the DID was excellent. I'm trying a steel rear with a aluminum center Stealth right now, haven't tried the titanium rear yet, but they claim its a lifetime sprocket.

To echo a comment above, tensil strength has almost nothing to do with wear resistance. Chains stretch due to wear at the friction points, the metal isn't actually stretching. If you want a long life chain then what you really need to study is the wear resistance. This is why sealed chains typically last longer in typical use cases; the grease stays in, the dirt stays out so the wear points inside the chain (pins and bushings) don't wear as fast. Any of the good name brand chains will have plenty of tensile strength for our size bikes.

I put on a set of Sidewinder chains and sprockets after a riding trip down south a couple of years ago. I couldn't believe how fast you chew through sprockets and chain after riding all day for a week.... the lack of being able to get new chains and sprockets almost cut the week short for a few guys on that trip.

As I said that was 2 years ago, and I am still going strong on the same set of sprockets and chain, with no sign that I am going to have to replace anytime soon. They were pricey, but I can not believe how well they have worn. Chain stretch is almost non existant. Now I may not get to put in as many hours as some, but I am currently starting my third season on this setup. Well worth the extra cost for a REALLY good quality set in my opinion. They have impressed me for sure......

• 2 months later...
I put on a set of Sidewinder chains and sprockets after a riding trip down south a couple of years ago. I couldn't believe how fast you chew through sprockets and chain after riding all day for a week.... the lack of being able to get new chains and sprockets almost cut the week short for a few guys on that trip.

As I said that was 2 years ago, and I am still going strong on the same set of sprockets and chain, with no sign that I am going to have to replace anytime soon. They were pricey, but I can not believe how well they have worn. Chain stretch is almost non existant. Now I may not get to put in as many hours as some, but I am currently starting my third season on this setup. Well worth the extra cost for a REALLY good quality set in my opinion. They have impressed me for sure......

Ok - sold - been debating which to get as replacements, as the clay here is killing my sprockets/chains. Lets see how this set lasts