HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Storbeck

07 electric starter problem

6 posts in this topic

I recently had my 07 wr 450 completely apart, cases split down to nothing, it's back together and it runs great now, but for some reason the electric starter doesn't work now. When you hit the button you just get the solelnoid click like the battery is dead, but with fully charged battery and even when jumping with a car battery it still does it. I took the torque limiter gear out to see if the motor works with no load and it does. It spins and it's going the right direction, but when I put it back together nothing, just click.

Haven't had time to really get into it and start troubleshooting but thought somebody might know about some common thing that can be put together wrong and cause this.

And just to make things more fun I've got oil leaking from somewhere so I might be taking everything back apart anyway. Don't think I could tolerate the thing leaking like a ##$% Harley.

Make sure the thick ground cable is connected to the engine (Bolt tight)

I recently had my 07 wr 450 completely apart, cases split down to nothing, it's back together and it runs great now, but for some reason the electric starter doesn't work now. When you hit the button you just get the solelnoid click like the battery is dead, but with fully charged battery and even when jumping with a car battery it still does it. I took the torque limiter gear out to see if the motor works with no load and it does. It spins and it's going the right direction, but when I put it back together nothing, just click.

Haven't had time to really get into it and start troubleshooting but thought somebody might know about some common thing that can be put together wrong and cause this.

And just to make things more fun I've got oil leaking from somewhere so I might be taking everything back apart anyway. Don't think I could tolerate the thing leaking like a ##$% Harley.

Why did you have the bike apart?

Try all of the wires, at all of their connections, easiest first. And if that doesn't work, hit it with a hammer. I had an old ford truck, and that used to work.

:thumbsup: Sorry, i am in spain and my english is poor. I have two friends with wr450´07 and wr450´08. Both with the same problem. The electric motor of starter had the burned coil (bad wire cupper). The problem begin when the piston keep in an point with many compression, then you push the button and don´t work it. You push again and the electric starter become hot. If you move a few the piston with the foot, the electric starter work great. The problem is the section of wire for the electric starter. I hope to clear the mind.