HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WIRE-DOC

best position for forks in clamps

4 posts in this topic

I have an 08wr450. Suspension has been revalved and resprung for my weight. My friend says that raising the forks in the clamps will make it turn better. Is this true?

I have an 08wr450. Suspension has been revalved and resprung for my weight. My friend says that raising the forks in the clamps will make it turn better. Is this true?

I know the geometry between the 06 and 08 is slightly different but before I had Factory Connection rework my forks I raised the forks 6mm which did help my bike turn a bit better. Since the FC magic I have the forks raised only 1mm to 2mm.

So yes it is true but there is a down side as well. Raising the forks will increase the likelihood of head shake at speed.

Good luck!

Yep, your friend is correct. It doesn't take much. Effectively you're shortening the wheelbase. I raised mine about 4mm and then removed the stops on my swingarm (07WR450) and shortened my chain pushing the rear tire up as far as it can go without damage...

Now doing tight woods stuff I turn so tight that I can almost see myself in front of me. I'm not doing 70MPH stuff either so higher speed stability isn't an issue (I'm geared at 14/52 anyway which I love).