Removing a WR 450 flywheel

I need to check my starter clutch but I'm having a hard time removing the flywheel. The only tool I found to do it is a Motion Pro that costs $40!:thumbsup: (MP 08-0390).

Is there a garage method to get this off? I really don't want to spend $$ on a tool I'll use once.

Thanks.

I need to check my starter clutch but I'm having a hard time removing the flywheel. The only tool I found to do it is a Motion Pro that costs $40!:rolleyes: (MP 08-0390).

Is there a garage method to get this off? I really don't want to spend $$ on a tool I'll use once.

Thanks.

What year is your bike?

I just paid $57 for another brand, it's 33mm x 1.5 RH thread... this worked on my 07. I don't think you want to use any other method, flywheels are probably a lot more to replace than the investment into a puller...:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply.

I found a tool from TrailTech for $20 (click link for item description).

That's a bit more palatable.

It's a 2004.

When you know the size and thread pitch on the puller can you post it? I am still not convinced that the 07's are different from other years and want to know if I got hosed or not, not that it will replace the $57 into my bank account but live and learn is my motto when working on this bike.:rolleyes:

Good luck!

You should invest in a timing chain ($12) if you are going to have the flywheel off... you can adjust valves as needed at the same time :thumbsup: It's a little more work but on 2004 it would be cheap insurance if, like I said you are going to have the flywheel off.

Best of luck:ride:

MotionProTool

This tool's description says it's a 33X1.5 from 04-06.

However, the bikeMaster tool says it's 30MM. I don't think that's right. The woman at the motoshop checked to see if it was a misprint and it apparently is...that's the wr250 tool.