I may be nuts. Do you think a WR450F would make it across the country?

I am thinking about buying a WR450F in Michigan (I am going to get a MI DL and have "residency" there) and plating it there and riding it back to CA. I also considered CRF450s but they seem to be much less reliable. Roughly 2350 miles. How many valve checks would it need? Would it be insane/better off shipping it somehow? I would gear it down a LOT. I know it seems ridiculous but it sounds like fun. ?

I did a 2000 mile valve check on my 07 wr450 and they were fine. you would want higher gearing . if you just put on a 15 front would help alot . also you'll want a bigger tank. I think you should just ship it . there is just too much to change to ride it that far untested

take lots of monkey butt powder

5 gal fuel tank on your back

it would be a blast if you make a vacation out of it. hitting all the back roads

15/42 would work nice 6k at 80mph

i wouldnt worry about the valves as much as the oil

20/50 synthetic and you should be fine

but there would be a huge jetting issue somewhere in the middle

I am thinking about buying a WR450F in Michigan (I am going to get a MI DL and have "residency" there) and plating it there and riding it back to CA. I also considered CRF450s but they seem to be much less reliable. Roughly 2350 miles. How many valve checks would it need? Would it be insane/better off shipping it somehow? I would gear it down a LOT. I know it seems ridiculous but it sounds like fun. ?

yes the bike is more than capable of doing it....i have over 8000 miles and my valves havent moved...bike still runs like a top.

You would probably want to mount street tires on it for the trip.

Or, try to do it mostly offroad? ? Now that would be fun if you had the time.

Actually, I think it would only cost 200 to 300 to ship it, maybe more now because of $ of gas.

I have 8000km on my 06. I firmly believe that all this fifth gear talk is crap. There is no way riding at a constant speed is harder on that tranny than blasting whoops or flying through the desert.

If you plan on riding it all the way, plan on changing the oil once every 5 tanks of fuel, and gear it way up. You need at least 15-45 if you want to cruise at a decent speed all day.

+1 for shipping it. As Clark said the WR's 5th gear isn't built for constant top end running.

But why... even if you plate in in Michigan, when you get to California, you loose the plate. The laws don't allow plated bikes to transfer over anymore. Whats the benefit of buying the bike in Michigan.

Instead, buy a "new" ktm that is plated and then ride it to california and you keep your plate. But then again, buy the new KTM in California and save the sores on your butt.

But if I were riding from Michican to California, I would want a goldwing. Don't laugh, but my street bike is a beemer (abs brakes, heated grips and seat, 6 disk cd changer, electric windshield, etc....) and its the perfect asphault assault weapon.

Once you have that stuff, you can't do without it.

I think shipping it is a good plan. It is either buy a converted WR400 or WR426 here in CA that was plated before the cutoff, or buy a newer WR450F in Michigan and go through the hoops, doesn't cost much so it doesn't bother me. I think shipping it would be the best option, after riding it around in Michigan a bunch.

And yes, bike would be registered in MI and I will get a MI drivers license with that address, basically showing I have residency in both states. I could see them telling me it needed to be registered if I was not a Michigan "resident" and just brought the bike back with me.

And yes, bike would be registered in MI and I will get a MI drivers license with that address, basically showing I have residency in both states. I could see them telling me it needed to be registered if I was not a Michigan "resident" and just brought the bike back with me.

Take it from someone with experience --- you can get into a lot of trouble having DL from two states - and if you choose MI over CA, the law requires you to switch to CA after six months of residency or if you intend permanent residency in CA ...not that anyone would catch you, but there is that requirement. So if you got a ticket or whatever, and then got another one six months later with the same out of state info, you'd be in for some enhanced fines and/or extra hassle. In my experience, cops like to pull over out of state tags, especially on vehicles that obviously weren't driven there (like a street legal dirt bike).

Is it really worth the trouble? Riding cross country or shipping, CA green sticker whatever....get a tried and true CA bike, or commit to getting a bike that will be compliant - at least enough for you to be in CA without always looking over your shoulder.?