sprockets?

so i was out riding my 02yz426. chain got loose and wrecked the Sprockets.

so now i have to get new ones and needed a little feed back. on the bike now i have a 51 tooth rear. i see stock is 49 for the yz and 50 for the wr. now i ride in the woods in michigan, and wanted to know what a good number front and rear is? and should i go steel or aluminum? my buddy i ride with says steel. and whats a good brand and where the heck should i get them from?

Steel will outlast aluminum by a very wide margin. Heavy steel sprockets can be had just about for free (like $20 for a JT maybe?) and they'll last extremely well, but they weigh a few pounds. If you want the life of steel with weight similar to aluminum then the more fancy steel sprockets like the Ironman will do the trick, but you'll pay a premium for the light weight design.

Here's a weight comparison I did between a JT Steel, Ironman steel and Sunstar aluminum (click here). . You can see that aluminum is the lightest, but the Ironman is pretty darn close. The JT is a boat anchor. ?

As for sizes, that's 100% personal preference. I will say it's much less expensive to experiment by swapping fronts than by swapping rears, though a 1-tooth change in the front will give you the same result as a multiple-tooth change in the rear. Good luck!

PS-> Nothing kills sprockets faster than a worn chain, so invest in a good chain if you want long life from your sprockets.

As for the weight, You have a drill press?

Size? ask your self. Do I have to downshift often to get out of a corner? or do I want a little more top end speed. I don't think you can go wrong from 48 to 52.whatever. It is a 426 right ? That is a tractor the will run 80.

so i was out riding my 02yz426. chain got loose and wrecked the Sprockets.

so now i have to get new ones and needed a little feed back. on the bike now i have a 51 tooth rear. i see stock is 49 for the yz and 50 for the wr. now i ride in the woods in michigan, and wanted to know what a good number front and rear is? and should i go steel or aluminum? my buddy i ride with says steel. and whats a good brand and where the heck should i get them from?

Your best bet by a long shot... http://www.qualitysmart.com/products/ironman/ironman.htm#chains

The middle package with the ORN chain will last you a VERY long time compared to any aluminum set.