hours on your machine

i have a buddy that has a 1999 400f that he has a hour meter on it since like new. well he has like 1200+ hours on it and never took the engine apart. it was never raced and he just does trail riding. is that good hours??? and still runs great. oh and he never did a valve adjustment.

i have a buddy that has a 1999 400f that he has a hour meter on it since like new. well he has like 1200+ hours on it and never took the engine apart. it was never raced and he just does trail riding. is that good hours??? and still runs great. oh and he never did a valve adjustment.

If all this is true, then he needs to call Yamaha and see if they want to buy it back and use it for marketing or something like that. ?

i have a lawn care business and i have owned zero turn mowers with kohler and kawasaki engines on them and have seen like 3300 hours on 1 machine before i sold it and it ran fine. it did burn some oil but not to bad.. why wouldnt one of these bikes last 3000+ hours??? if taken care of and never ran hard?

another note, i have a r1 sport bike with 19000 miles and runs as good as new no work. and a guy i ride with has like 38000 miles on a honda and runs great.

just like my first bike 86 kx80. i was 12 years old and me and my brother rode that everyday hard and 4 years and never rebuilt top end. when we bought it they told me dad every 20 hours replace rings. well that never happened and thing ran fine and never a problem.

I have a problem with comparing a high performance motor with a lawnmower. But, I do beleive that if maintained on a regular basis and ridden to church and back on a sunday, these hours are acheivable. I'm sure greyracer will weigh in on this....

Wow! That is a testament to the Yamaha 4 stroke. 1200 hours on a high performance MX bike without work is incredible. You can't compare these to a lawn mower engine. You probably should install a new piston rings and timing chain to ensure you get even more hours out of it.

i have a lawn care business and i have owned zero turn mowers with kohler and kawasaki engines on them and have seen like 3300 hours on 1 machine before i sold it and it ran fine. it did burn some oil but not to bad.. why wouldnt one of these bikes last 3000+ hours??? if taken care of and never ran hard?

Does your lawn mower turn 12K RPM's and hold 1.4 quarts of oil?

see, thats the thing. the guy is like 50 years old and i never see him rev it out. he uses it as a back and forth trail bike and is putted everywhere. i dont know if it was ever ran past like 7000 rpm's

but i guess the hours are good then

1.5 quarts and turns like 3750 rpm's but then again thats what those engines are built for.. just like these 400f is built to turn 10,000 plus rpm's

• Like 1

Not any lawn mower I ever saw.

But the R1 turns that fast quite easily, and faster. 19000 miles at 60 mph is 316 hours. The mileage isn't that hard to believe. My '03 left home with about 400 hours and had never needed a valve adjustment. There was another guy here a while ago on one of these threads who ran an hour meter to 700 on a YZ426.

1200 would be the most I've ever heard of, and of course, I'm skeptical, but I'm not prepared to say it's impossible under the right circumstances.

Not any lawn mower I ever saw.

But the R1 turns that fast quite easily, and faster. 19000 miles at 60 mph is 316 hours. The mileage isn't that hard to believe. My '03 left home with about 400 hours and had never needed a valve adjustment. There was another guy here a while ago on one of these threads who ran an hour meter to 700 on a YZ426.

1200 would be the most I've ever heard of, and of course, I'm skeptical, but I'm not prepared to say it's impossible under the right circumstances.

the hours you quote with the miles isnot near true in normal driving. a guy that does landscaping by me too has a gmc truck with a hour meter built in with the miles came like that stock, anyway he has 30,000 some thousand miles onit and 1500 hours. he told me he estamates about 40 hours per 1 thousand miles. your hours would maybe be right if there was no traffic and no lights.

the hours you quote with the miles isnot near true in normal driving. a guy that does landscaping by me too has a gmc truck with a hour meter built in with the miles came like that stock, anyway he has 30,000 some thousand miles onit and 1500 hours. he told me he estamates about 40 hours per 1 thousand miles. your hours would maybe be right if there was no traffic and no lights.

In a truck you would have a slow average speed, but the typical crotch rocket rider will easily average 60 MPH.

and a note lol.... the hours i said were wrong. the guy did not know there was a little dot so the hours on his 400f are 124.7 hours not 1247. like i said hes a older guy and just putts it around his land. i stopped over to have a beer and looked at the hour meter and then showed him the dot.

and a note lol.... the hours i said were wrong. the guy did not know there was a little dot so the hours on his 400f are 124.7 hours not 1247. like i said hes a older guy and just putts it around his land. i stopped over to have a beer and looked at the hour meter and then showed him the dot.

124.7 hours isn't unreasonable at all. A lot of people get more than that.

like i said hes older and does not pay much attension to much lol.. i told him about the site and about his 1200 hour thing i listed, he said he will not live long enough to hit 1200 hours on it then if in 9 years put on 120 hours he said he would have to live to 150 years old lol...