Do you keep old Dirt Rider Mags?

I need your help. A few months ago Dirt Rider had a product in their new products section that I need, but I tossed out the issue. The product I am looking for is a rack that mounts on the front rail of a truck bed that holds your motorcycles secure. I think it is called a bed buddy, or bike buddy. ??

I had made a custom one of these many years ago, but left it on the truck I just traded in for a new truck. The old rack would not have fit my new truck, so I let it go. Now I need a new rack, and I remember this one I am looking for was pretty trick.

Does anyone have the info (phone number) for this product? If you could look it up I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure of the month, definitely within the last six issues. Not the ATK shoe, but a "rack" that mounts flush with the front rail of the bed with anchors for tie downs and "slots" for the front tire(s).

You know how it goes, you set aside the mag knowing you will need it soon, that special place where you wont lose it. When you need it its long gone. Its probably with all those socks that went AWOL in the dryer and my car keys I lost last year.

Thanks guys.

Ooohhh! That is cool. Sorry about the wheel shoe. I just recently met a guy who has two of those ATKs bolted into the bed of his truck. The ties downs are'nt even compressing his forks. Just uses them to keep the bike from rolling back. But I like this thing better. Don't need it, but I like it.

[ May 10, 2002: Message edited by: Dougie ]

I think the Sampson rack that Bill pointed out is the one. I will post my experience once I purchase a rack so others can benefit.

These things are a good idea for truck haulers because they keep the tied down bikes from crushing the front rail of the bed, keeping it from rubbing the cab. It is also a safer for the motorcycles too.

Thanks guys!

well, sorry, but i left it at school. ? when i get to school tomorrow ill get on a computer and reply. or i could just tell you whos on the cover so someone can look for it. bubba stewarts on the cover whippin it and its the one where dubach teaches us how to ride a fourstroke and how to make us better fourstroke riders.

The Samson looks very similar to the one I made many years ago but just left on the truck I traded in. If anything I should have kept it for a prototype. It was strong and easy to make, and it looked good too. The material cost me under $15 to make. Six foot of 1.5 inch square tube, a few miter cuts and welds, a few holes, and viola.

Here is a drawing of the Samson:

samson.jpg

I know there is another one out there still (BedBuddy). I am still looking for the info and will share what I find...

I swear I have been searching for this using Google. Always got lots of hits, but nothing motorcycle related. You would be surprised at the junk you can find using Bed Buddy for a search phrase. ?

This was the first time moto related items came up. Weird. I just order the MXA 03/01 back issue where they tested this product. Once I get the issue I will post what I find here at TT. I hope this company is still around. I am sure it was in Dirt Rider recently too.

Thanks MerfMan!

The back issue of Motocross Action showed up today, and sure enough, there it is. The cost for one of these things is $139.95 for a mini truck, or $149.95 for a full size pickup. This is very similar to the one I made before with the tie down loops and wheel slots.

Here is a quicky scan from the mag:

bedbuddy.jpg

CCR Sports Bed Buddy

(626) 695-1218

No address info in the mag.

Installation tip: Use a strip of 1.5 inch wide weather stripping as a kind of gasket between the bed rail and the motorcycle rack. It looks trick, reduces squeaks, and saves your bed from rusting.

?