HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kiwiintexas

MY experience with my new to me wr400

23 posts in this topic

I had read all of the pointers, the guy I got the bike off showed me how to start it.

Man did I ever have difficulties. Warmed the bike up, dead start off the line ten minutes later. Couldnt get it to fire, took fifteen minutes finally got a bump start from offiicials. Only to have it happen when I stalled it 15 minutes later.

Think I have it down now that I started it 40 or so times yesterday. Aside from getting stronger legs... I need too..Open the hot start valve, kick through once, then find high center and go through steps.

I am now in the 400 club just wat to be able to start it easily cause I found I went alot slower for fear of it dying and having to start it, which in turn caused me to stall it more.

Autodecompressor cam mod...03 YZ450 OEM cam or Hot Cams exhaust cam depending onthe thickness of your wallet. Start it like a 2 stroke! Best mod you will ever do for these bikes!

My wallet is thin, which is the cheapest and how hard is it to do? Will this really make it kick as easy as my old 2 stroke. I love this bike but my jealous of electric startors definately was out yesterday.

I had a similar experience when I first got my "new to me" Wr400. I also learned the drill :eek: and the little things that made mine start. Then I had some carb problems and was forced to learn how to tweak it. Now that it's dialed in it's really pretty easy to start. All the info you'll need is here on TT.

yeah I think I am just going to replace the plug and get the drill down. My decomp lever is a bit on the sticky side, anyone know where I can order a new cable and spring from?

yeah I think I am just going to replace the plug and get the drill down. My decomp lever is a bit on the sticky side, anyone know where I can order a new cable and spring from?

Yamaha parts through the TT store right here.

The 2003 YZ450 exhaust cam for your 400 - about $100..

I too just got a wr400 and have been trying to learn to get it to fire up reliably. Sometimes it's easy (1-2 kicks) and other times I've done like you did and eff with it for like 15min before I got it going....man was my leg sore!

I've got a question for you guys though, I've got it down pretty well now to where I can get it to start pretty quick, but today I went to start it and I could not get it for the life of me......then I pulled the hot start and it fired right up.... WHY? The bike had been sitting all day. Sure, it got some sun but it's not like it had been running, and it's not even into the nineties today...

-Kevin

If you were at the Cycleland enduro, I was one of the guys sweeping that was stopping to help you out. First I would get a new cable for your decompression lever, it was sticking on me when I was kicking. I dont think you really have a bike problem, you just need some more time on it, you will get the hang of it. That was a tough race, miles of loose sand and tight woods, not somewhere you want to get to know a new bike. I had a 00 and 01 426, once you get the drill down you will be ok. One thing to remember, when its hot and hard to start, hold the throttle wide open and kick through it about ten times slowly to clear it out, then do the drill, if you watched me, this is what I did the first time I stopped and it fired right up.

I have a '99 WR400 and I only have an issue if I twist the throttle while kicking it. I know not to do this...then it is flooded and takes more kicks. Usually, it kicks over in 3-5 sitting and stone cold. If you put your hand on the bar instead of the throttle you cannot make this mistake. I cleaned the carb and re-set it to factory specs and I have not issues. Be sure to check the clicker on the shocks too. The previous owner had them all out of wack. People mess with those carb settings and can mess those up. Might want to check those things out. Hey, it starts easier than my XR4. LOL. KJR

Hi kiwi in texas from one in the United Arab Emirates.

I have a 400 also. I can sympathise with you as it took a while for me to get the starting procedure sorted but now I have the knack my bike starts 1 or 2 kicks cold and first kick warm unless I have stalled it or fallen off ! The maybe 4-6 kicks.

Carburettor set up and cleanliness is vital to easy starting and idling. Also as a previous post said - DO NOT TWIST THE THROTTLE WHEN STARTING. Watch this closely as it is often a habit that dies hard and while we do not think we are doing, we actually are.

Good luck.

Ok, procedures for those that need them:

Take right hand and grab gas tank lid

Slowly Press kicker until it gets hard (TDC)

Hold decomp lever down, push kicker a little bit (to get piston over hump)

Let go of Decomp lever, bring kicker back to top of it's stroke

One good hard kick like you mean it and she should fire right up.

Now, using the hot start button means you're LEANING the mixture out (adding extra air), so you may have too large a pilot jet installed OR you're blipping the throttle either on purpose or accidentally if your hand is on the throttle when you kick it.

If you were at the Cycleland enduro, I was one of the guys sweeping that was stopping to help you out. First I would get a new cable for your decompression lever, it was sticking on me when I was kicking. I dont think you really have a bike problem, you just need some more time on it, you will get the hang of it. That was a tough race, miles of loose sand and tight woods, not somewhere you want to get to know a new bike. I had a 00 and 01 426, once you get the drill down you will be ok. One thing to remember, when its hot and hard to start, hold the throttle wide open and kick through it about ten times slowly to clear it out, then do the drill, if you watched me, this is what I did the first time I stopped and it fired right up.

Yeah that was definately me, I have to say thankyou to you and your guys for helping me out. Definately a change of bike from the CR250, but I love it once its running. I am going to get out on the trails alot more and just practice getting it started. I think I will in the the end, get to changing the cam though. I think I screwed myself off the line having to kick for 15 mins to get it started it blew me out. you are right about the decomp cable though its sticking bad now.

Again thanks for your help, it was an awesome event and I will be back next year to finish what I started.

I put the money into the Hot Start cam in my '99 WR 400, removed the decomp lever, crack throttle twice before kicking, hand off throttle on kick, starts 1st/2nd kick everytime!

I put the money into the Hot Start cam in my '99 WR 400, removed the decomp lever, crack throttle twice before kicking, hand off throttle on kick, starts 1st/2nd kick everytime!

I have to agree with this guy. I took my new to me 400, and slapped an '03 yz450 exhaust cam in there for autodecomp. Cost me $112 for the cam. I spent about $40 on shimms trying to find the right ones. Once I got it installed my starting procedure changed a bit. I can now start it by twisting the throttle twice to get two squirts of fuel in there, and then in one or two kicks it starts. Also to that guy that says he starts his bike sometimes while twisting the throttle... I brusied the bottom of my foot real bad doing that when the bike backfired on the down kick. :^)

It seems like a lot of you are happy with the 03 YZ450 cam. I have an 02 WR426 and I have no problem startin' it. It is jetted well with the JD kit and Zip Ty adjustable fuel screw. When its cold, I give the throttle 2 twists then procede with the drill. It usually starts in 1- 3 kicks. When its hot many times I don't even need the hot start unless I dump or stall it. I have the drill down to where I don't really even think about it. I actually kind of like it - just to be different. I do see that some people struggle with it though, and the YZ cam is a good choice if you want to pretend you have a 2 stroke :eek: . All of my e-starting homies that I ride with think I'm crazy but thats OK, I just reach over, hit their kill swich and ride away:ride: .

There are a couple more advantages to the Y450 cam...less stalling when you come in hot to a corner and clamp on the binders HARD, easier to bump start...you should try it...

There are a couple more advantages to the Y450 cam...less stalling when you come in hot to a corner and clamp on the binders HARD, easier to bump start...you should try it...

Yeah I love being able to bump start my 400. The first time I did it after installnig my '03 cam, I was going downhill and through a laid back corner. I had a little too much gas on, and I went from a bumpstart to a sideways wheelie. It was pretty funny looking.

what your oppinion on putting in the WR 450 03 cam, this bike is generally going to be used for tight enduro type stuff.

what your oppinion on putting in the WR 450 03 cam, this bike is generally going to be used for tight enduro type stuff.

I love it. Starts easier. It changes that low to mid range hit, it's alot smoother now. While I was in there I put in a fresh timing chain and re-shimed my valves. I learned a ton about how 4 strokes work on that project. All the people who don't want to do the '03 cam upgrade are going to tell you that they have the starting process down pat... I had it down pat too, and trust me the first time you have to restart on the side of a nasty hill you're going to be glad you did this upgrade.