Chain Masterlinks

Hey Y`all i bought a chain frm my local Yammy dealer ( where im employed at :eek: ) anyways i was sold a higher end RK chain and when i instaled it on my 03 YZ 450 i noticed the master link was the rivet type. not having the toold to instal such masterlink i used the masterlink off the RK chain i just took off the bike.

is this ok or no? The chain size is the same and the old masterlink went on fine , flawlessly, but will this hold? thanks for your help.

Thats wrong thing to do. You have a weak link in your chain that has greater possibility to snap. Just use the rivet link. Call in a buddy who could hold a big hammer or some other metal object against the other side of the chain and then you just use a metal stick and a smaller hammer to hammer the pin head nice and blunt. I have installed 3 chains like this with no problems.

Allthough if this seems to be too hard you better go and buy a new masterlink with clip. No need to possibly destroy your motor because of an old masterlink.:eek:

Thats wrong thing to do. You have a weak link in your chain that has greater possibility to snap. Just use the rivet link. Call in a buddy who could hold a big hammer or some other metal object against the other side of the chain and then you just use a metal stick and a smaller hammer to hammer the pin head nice and blunt. I have installed 3 chains like this with no problems.

Allthough if this seems to be too hard you better go and buy a new masterlink with clip. No need to possibly destroy your motor because of an old masterlink.:eek:

how would this destroy my motor?

If the chain snaps it will probably hit your engine case and you will have a hole in there. My friend just had this kind of experiance and even his clutch arm ( the thing that moves on your engine when you pull in clutch) got crushed.

Anyway masterlinks with clips are more practical then rivet types. For example I bought an 07 3 months ago and now got a 08 for the same amount of money that I could get from my "old" 07. So I swapped around my new chain and sprockets. It could have been a PITA to remove the rivet masterlink and then get a new one. Instead I had a masterlink with clip had it done in 5 minute.

Take it to the shop you work at and pay the $ to have it pressed or buy the motion pro tool as stated above and do it yourself! I took what I thought was the short cut way last year and paid for it$$$$$$$$$$, broken case and all!

I have always used a chain with a masterlink. I have never used the rivet type.

The bottom line is provided you carry out good routine maintenance on your chain you will not have any problems.

Almost every case of a master link letting go can be traced back to poor maintenance or worn equipment.

+1 on get a motionpro or similar type tool. It makes breaking the masterlink easier and also provides assurance the link is properly assembled.

Take it to the shop you work at and pay the $ to have it pressed or buy the motion pro tool as stated above and do it yourself! I took what I thought was the short cut way last year and paid for it$$$$$$$$$$, broken case and all!

+1 on having one of the techs at your shop do it. Only takes a couple minutes. Why didn't you just do that anyway? I always use the rivit links and have never had sa problem....but i have seen problems with clip type links. When you need to remove a chain with a rivit link, it only takes 30 seconds to grind the pins flush and pop the plate off with a screwdriver.

I'd just like to male the distinction here between press fit and rivet type master links. Rivet types are those that use no spring clip to retain the outer plate, and instead require that the ends of the pins be staked over like the head of a rivet, just as the rest of the chain is done.

Press fit masters may be of either the clip or rivet types. But where the outer plate is normally just slipped on over the pins, a press fit link fits tightly enough that some type of pressing or clamping tool with considerable strength is necessary to push the plate all the way on. This is how the main links of the chain are assembled, and it adds a lot of strength to the assembled link, regardless of how the plate is retained.

There is no problem with using a correctly installed press fit link of either the clip or rivet types. Every experienced pro has their favorite of the two, and they all have their reasons, but both are strong and dependable, and much better than a link of either kind that can be assembled by hand.

Where the OP is potentially making his mistake is in mixing a link from one chain onto another. Chains are made to fit over standard sprocket tooth sizes, not to be identical to each other for parts interchange, and a link made or a different brand may fit poorly enough so as to be a very weak point in the chain.