HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coldheart

RD400 VIN look-up

5 posts in this topic

I hope this question hasn't been asked before (much).

I have a 1977 RD400 yammy.

Problem is that the VIN does come close to the 17 character length that seems to be required for the database of 1981 and newer bikes.

The VIN length I have is 9 digits, with the first 3 separated by a dash (unless they also count the space on either side of the dash - hehe) :p

The free or pay-for-info pages that I have been too reject the number.

Due to in-house re-arranging and eventually a move to another house, my registration paper is gone. :eek:

I thought I could do a check myself and once the information was found complete a request for renewal registration.

Has anyone else come across this situation?

Should I just let the government do the look-up?

Thanks in advance!

We really are not much of a street bike forum here. Hopefully someone can answer this here, but I bet a rd 400 specific forum is the best bet.

We really are not much of a street bike forum here. Hopefully someone can answer this here, but I bet a rd 400 specific forum is the best bet.

I do remember than the 9 digit number back then was a model number. Did you get the "vin" from the steering head. The engine number is not the vin.

I do remember than the 9 digit number back then was a model number. Did you get the "vin" from the steering head. The engine number is not the vin.

So, if you have something like 1A1-100101 this is a MODEL number, not a vin.

Yamaha might help if you call Yamaha Customer

Relations at (800) 962-7926.

Hey , great!

This was really fast.

The steering head sticker is so worn, only the [ 1A1 - ] is visble.

The engine has the full 1A1 - 312995 number.

Memory is a little fuzzy, but I don't ever recall a 17 digit VIN.

Thanks again!

(...as my first post was a question, I didn't think it would be right to try and start a whole new thread for RD400's)

I'll let the govt types do a search...