yz450f carb on a yz400f?

Hey guys can I use a yz450f carb on my 1998 yz400f without problems? If so any reason not to? Thanks

Hey guys can I use a yz450f carb on my 1998 yz400f without problems? If so any reason not to? Thanks

If the airbox is the same as a 99 WR400 (which I think it is), then you can (as I'm doing now). The 450 carb (from bell to bell) is slightly shorter, so the air boot has to be stretched a bit to fit properly over the intake bell. Other things to consider is you will need the 03 and up throttle cable, and if you plan on using the built in hot start feature then you will need the hot start cable and handle bar lever. And, remember to plug the nipples on the intake manifold and the air box.

So its no big deal, good. Hows it working for you performance wise?

So its no big deal, good. Hows it working for you performance wise?

World of a difference:thumbsup:

I think I will pick one up then. Whats the real difference in these 2 carbs besides the exterior size?

That depends somewhat on the year, but in any case, the later carbs are internally more sophisticated. The '05 and later YZ450 model was the first year the YZ450 had a leak jet , for what that's worth.

I don't know how much good a leak jet does but I will try to find a 05+ carb then. Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't think 03 to 05 or even 06 on will work as the airbox boot will not reach. That side of carb is shorter from 03 on (and does not have a bolt on manifold). The 00 to 02 carb works fine. I have a 00 on my 99 400 with the R&D adjustable leak jet. The adjustable leak jet products plug the stock leak jet if you had one anyway. This gives better function than the regular leak jet setup.

I don't think 03 to 05 or even 06 on will work as the airbox boot will not reach.
Did you not read this?:
If the airbox is the same as a 99 WR400 (which I think it is), then you can (as I'm doing now). The 450 carb (from bell to bell) is slightly shorter, so the air boot has to be stretched a bit to fit properly over the intake bell.