Will an 04 450 jug fit on an 01 426

I have an 01 426. I have heard that the first two years for the 450 were basically punched out 426 motors to make them 450s. They were actually 439cc. I am interested to know if the 03 04 jugs will bolt up to the 01 426 cases and can I use my 426 head. I have six years worth of riding and probably 10 or 12 thousand miles if not more on it. It still runs good but I think it is time to go through it before it has major engine problems.

Another question. What about the swing arm and linkage from an 04 450 on a 2001 426. I won one on ebay for $31 and the linkage for $12. If they wont fit I can at least swap the bearings. It was cheaper than buying the bearing kits from pivot works.

Not sure. I know the 05/06 swingarm will not fit on the 03/04. Length is slightly different (not a big deal) but more importantly the brake caliper guide is different. Would need to change the caliper mounting bracket to make it work. Doesn't necessarilly apply to the earlier models but just some things to look at.

Not sure. I know the 05/06 swingarm will not fit on the 03/04. Length is slightly different (not a big deal) but more importantly the brake caliper guide is different. Would need to change the caliper mounting bracket to make it work. Doesn't necessarilly apply to the earlier models but just some things to look at.

Wasn't 05 the first year for the alum frame? I thought from 01 to 04 the frames were similar enough that the swing arm would fit. I know the 04 swingarms has some minore cosmetic differences but if it bolts up than thats fine. If it doesn't work My cousin has an 04 450. Maybe he can use it if I cant. After I steal the bearings.

I know that an 02 swing arm will fit your 01, though you ave to do a few things different. The pivot bearings are different between trh two years, so you have to use the bearings and outer races from the 02, and the inner races from an 01 to make it work. Also, the 02 has a flat spot to keep the rocker link pivot bolt from spinning and uses a bolt with a special head. The 01 used a normal bolt in a round recess, so you have to use the 02 pivot bolt. The part numbers between an 02 and an 04 are different, though similar, so I'm not sure. If the axle, swing arm pivot and brake caliper bolt part numbers are the same betweent he two years, it should work fine. If the brake caliper part number is different, you can find 04 brake calipers on ebay all day long...

I actually ended up using part of the 04 linkage. The part the shock mounts to and also mounts to the swing arm and then the other link is the original one from my bike. I also used an 04 450 shock. It is slightly taller so i think in the end it raised the end of my bike up a bit. I could have also used the entire 01 linkage with the 04 swingarm and 04 shock and it probably would have raised the rear even more. Not sure how it will behave yet but it looks sweet.