Replacing the engine case

As a result of my tranny failing I need to replace my engine case. The broken gears knocked the shifting fork guide out of alignment and it is no longer round.

Is there a particular method of removing the bearing retainers that works well? I believe they have hardening lock-tight on the screws.

Any concerns to look for with a new case?

Thank you,

Brent

Crankcases are replaced as a set.

A little heat will soften red Loc-Tite nicely. Use a propane torch and never heat the aluminum beyond the point where spit bounces off it

Consider having the cases repaired. Two possible approaches are:

> Drill the damaged bore over size, press in a custom made sleeve or plug, or even a bronze bushing, and finish the bore to size as necessary.

> Weld and re-drill the bore.

Thanks Gray. I went ahead and ordered a set. At about $400 it might be more than a repair. I would hate to get the bore fixed, start reassembly and then find another problem. With the sort of catastrophic casualty this thing suffered, who knows. I am learning a lot from this repair, regrettably.

Thanks Gray. I went ahead and ordered a set. At about $400 it might be more than a repair. I would hate to get the bore fixed, start reassembly and then find another problem. With the sort of catastrophic casualty this thing suffered, who knows. I am learning a lot from this repair, regrettably.

Bearing retainers are held in with Torx fasteners and i have never had to use heat to remove them...They come out easily.