HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WIRE-DOC

hillclimb gearing

19 posts in this topic

has anyone run a 48 rear instead of the stock 50 for steep sandy hillclimbs and had any luck? i ride a wr450 08 with full drd s/s system.thanks:ride:

I run a 49, not much different from stock but I can use 1st & 2nd with less wheel spin. It was easier to climb in 3rd with the 50 though

The stock gearing for hillclimbs is perfect IMHO. 2nd gear for sane speeds, 3rd if you want to soil yourself and 4th for those hills that have a good run up.

My main beef with the gearbox is actually its gappy nature particularly between first and second. On tight singletrack it always seems like I'm between those two gears. Yeah the mags all say 2nd is fine for that kind of stuff on this bike but the truth is I'm not fast enough to exploit 2nd w/o some clutching and that fear in the back of my mind of stalling.

I'm gonna try lowering my gearing. I figure 2nd is working for most hill climbs and still will but I want it lower so first will make for better engine braking down very steep technical stuff.

i put a 13t front instead of the stock 14t on & want to go from the stock 50t to maybe 54-55t. the 13t was a great improvement so far though. 1 lower in front is about 3.5up in the back also added a TERAFLEX. great traction & is kinda like adding a flyweel weight. never stalled due to my poor riding level

03 wr450

I run a 12 - 50 and works well all over from steep mine dumps to rocky hills and montain riding

I run a 12 - 50 and works well all over from steep mine dumps to rocky hills and montain riding

Thats what im running also 12-50. I run tight wood harscrambles.

Thats what im running also 12-50. I run tight wood harscrambles.

Wow, that is some low gearing! I run 14/48 for the slow single track.

I think my slow and your slow is not the same .

Perhaps. My slow is so steep you can't walk up it without falling down....

My slow is so steep you can' t walk up without falling down AND hurting yourself

I feel people are geared to high and thats the reason for all the powermods.

I feel people are geared to high and thats the reason for all the powermods.

But lower gearing doesn't make you go faster, you just accelerate faster for a shorter period.

I have found that I hardly use 3 rd gear on my bike with stock gearing and a 12 50 setup just makes the gears more usable

I ended up settling on 12-52, but that is what worked best for the riding I do. However it will pull the front tire without even thinking. You have to watch it. JLow

Pretty much keep mine stock Tried 13-52 (barely fit), 14-49, 14-48 and settled back on stock. Just like the bike in stock trim. Seems to be perfect for my speed and I mostly only use 3rd and 4th gears. 5th is reserved for damper at max stiffness speeds:ride:.

I went back and forth trying to find that one gear combo that would give me good hillclimbing without having a big gap between 2nd and 3rd and still allow 2nd to pull. For my weight and riding ability, and local terrain, I ended up at either with a net of -1 or +1 in the back.

same hear my slow is so steep your afraid to come back down after you get to the top. i norm run stock on front just to have some extra teeth in the chain for strenght and a 53 on the back works great for tight hilly woods