HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
racegmc

Rebuilding Forks

5 posts in this topic

My right fork is leaking a little bit. Does this mean the entire fork needs rebuilt. If so, what brand is the best to buy for a complete fork rebuild kit for an 06 yz450 if that is necessary?

just replace the seal. Pretty easy to do yourself. I just did mine about a month ago.

have you just tried cleaning it yet? mine has leaked a couple of times and I just clean it and it is fine... there are numerous threads about cleaning the fork seal and dust cover... do a search...

Just replacing the seal is not enough. The bushing when worn will cause your seals to leak. If you want a complete rebuild, I have use pro action twice with lots of success.

Worn bushings in an '06 are fairly unlikely, for one, and are easily replaced in the course of a seal replacement. They're cheap and you have to remove them to do the seals, anyway. The '06 seals are a low drag type, and leak easily if dirt gets in them, or the tubes get scratched. Try cleaning by pulling down the wipers and running a piece of film or a business card around between the seal and the tube. If that fails, replace the seals. A full rebuild is almost certainly not necessary.