HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cagarren

reconstructed title ?

10 posts in this topic

Ok Im just going to throw this out there. Anybody ever get a reconstructed title for their modern dirt bike as a way to get a plate? I live in oregon and have been trying to find a way to ride on the road legally. I was thinking along the lines of buying a street legal wreck and using the horn off of it or something to apply for a reconstructed title for my WR here in Oregon. I've combined wrecked cars before but never tried it with a bike. Any info would be helpful........thanks

Ok Im just going to throw this out there. Anybody ever get a reconstructed title for their modern dirt bike as a way to get a plate? I live in oregon and have been trying to find a way to ride on the road legally. I was thinking along the lines of buying a street legal wreck and using the horn off of it or something to apply for a reconstructed title for my WR here in Oregon. I've combined wrecked cars before but never tried it with a bike. Any info would be helpful........thanks

Not to be offensive but it may be easier to get a KTM exc and do it legally.

Good Luck!

STS.

most states will let you mod a bike for the street .I don't know about your's but in mine it's just a matter of putting on lights and stuff and getting a inspection like you would do with a totaled car .

here's mine

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

Up here in Ontario, they completely banned converting "for off road use only" bikes to street bikes in Oct. 2007, of course, pre October conversions are grandfathered.

I believe that in reconstructing a vehicle from 2 or more vehicles, the one with the VIN on the body of your final build is the one that needs to be registered, so if you're going to buy a wreck, you either need to transfer everything to the road titled frame, or move the VIN from the wreck to your current ride which will likely involve some creative welding.

I think you could get away with leaving your current engine in since you are rebuilding a bike from parts of others.

yeah I should of bought a KTM but yamahas are way less expensive. Maybe I'll just get one of those orange triangles like on tractors and zip tie it to the

back of my chest protecter..............

Here's what I'm looking into doing....

I have a 2000 Yamaha R1 (street)....

And I'm fixing up my 1998 WR 400 to look like it's street legal....

Then I will put my R1 plate on my WR....

....If they run my plates, it will come back as a 2000 Yamaha Motorcycle....

If I'm not mistaken it will not give you the model of the bike....

Hopefully they don't run my VIN#.

That would probably work 99.5% of the time. If they run the VIN your going to be in trouble. I talked to the guy at Joe Racer. They say they supply you with a new MSO and a bill of sale for $ 625. Kinda expensive and you still run the risk of not making it through the DMV.

That would probably work 99.5% of the time. If they run the VIN your going to be in trouble. I talked to the guy at Joe Racer. They say they supply you with a new MSO and a bill of sale for $ 625. Kinda expensive and you still run the risk of not making it through the DMV.

I've been sitting here for about 2 minutes and I still can't figure out what an "MSO" is.

I'm sure it's just me.:eek:

I've been sitting here for about 2 minutes and I still can't figure out what an "MSO" is.

I'm sure it's just me.:p

Manufacturers Statement of Origin. AcronymFinder.com is always handy :eek:.

Here's what I'm looking into doing....

I have a 2000 Yamaha R1 (street)....

And I'm fixing up my 1998 WR 400 to look like it's street legal....

Then I will put my R1 plate on my WR....

....If they run my plates, it will come back as a 2000 Yamaha Motorcycle....

If I'm not mistaken it will not give you the model of the bike....

Hopefully they don't run my VIN#.

Watch out for insurance. If you get tangled up in an accident you may have a lot more trouble on your hands than a simple fine for non-legal registration.

Everybody thinks they won't have an accident, and I did too, and I've been creamed by cars 2ce. Insurance is tough to deal with on a good day. I think they'd be quick to shut the door on you with a questionable title.