Steering Dampers Set Up

I like a quick turning bike and have raised the forks 8mm in the clamps and fitted a Rekluse adjustable axle (which I have yet to test due to injury) but I'm certain the bike will be a bit flighty with the axle set for maximum ease of turning.

So I reckon I'll need damper, wondering what are the pros / cons of installing a damper under bar/ over bar - the theory seems simple enough but wondering about real world experience.

Anybody weld rather than bolt on?

I'm 6'2", 90kg

2005 Model

At 6'2" I would suggest the sub mount from either BRP or Scotts (They are the same). $450 - $500 US. It will bolt up to your stock triple clamp, both kits come with a Scotts damper that is probably one of the best in the biz :ride: and they raise the bar height for you. I have had one for about a year and a half now with out one problem and still works great.

I have Alum. framed bike and the clamp for the post is also thru bolted with the front gas tank mount so it's going anywhere but on your steel framed bikes I have heard that a welded post is best just make sure who ever welds it knows what their doing cause I surely don't but I have heard of CDI's getting fried ?

Cheers Don.

Is it easy to alter the damping setting on the move when it is sub-mounted or do the bars/crossbrace interfer?

If you get the oversize knob it makes it that much easier. The damper actually goes under the bars.

IMG_5978.jpg

At 6'2" I would suggest the sub mount from either BRP or Scotts (They are the same). $450 - $500 US. It will bolt up to your stock triple clamp, both kits come with a Scotts damper that is probably one of the best in the biz :ride: and they raise the bar height for you. I have had one for about a year and a half now with out one problem and still works great.

I have Alum. framed bike and the clamp for the post is also thru bolted with the front gas tank mount so it's going anywhere but on your steel framed bikes I have heard that a welded post is best just make sure who ever welds it knows what their doing cause I surely don't but I have heard of CDI's getting fried ?

I didn't weld on my '05, just used the clamp that came with the kit and it has held up to a lot of use for about a year now. You will have to grind just a little on the frame neck welds to get the clamp to seat fully, took about 10 minutes.

Also +1 on the sub-mount and taller bars.

I have the BRP rubber mounted bar / clamp setup with the scotts on top. I have never banged my helmet on it and it has many adjustments. The damper does wonders to take fatigue off of your arms and nervousness out of the bike. I also have the GPR damper on another bike. It is good also.

Good Luck!

STS.

a>

I foregot to mention that the '05 will be more expensive to sub-mount because the top tripple and bar mounts are all casted in one piece. You will need the BRP/Scotts tripple or you could go to a stock '06 tripple. I went with the BRP top and bottom clamps in black and the setup looks bitchin but costs $200 more.

I foregot to mention that the '05 will be more expensive to sub-mount because the top tripple and bar mounts are all casted in one piece. You will need the BRP/Scotts tripple or you could go to a stock '06 tripple. I went with the BRP top and bottom clamps in black and the setup looks bitchin but costs $200 more.

Ok it all makes sense now, I was checking out the Scotts website this arvo and noticed it was gonna be around $600 to sub mount, more than I was expecting, I was wondering why the big price difference over the other years. To be honest I didn't know the 05 and 06 were different in that respect, but thats good info mate, thanks ?

I have the BRP sub mount w/ Scotts on my 02' WR 426 and it is a great setup. The initial price was a little more than I really wanted to spend but after riding with it for the past year I'm glad I did it. The installation was really easy. The post for the stabilizer clamps on the steering tube and hasn't moved since I put it on. I did have to get the upper tripple clamp because my stocker had the bar mounts cast into the clamp, but the new BRP clamp is a sweet:thumbsup: . When I received my order the arm was already reversed for the sub mount and it also came with the BIG knob at no extra charge. ?

I ride mostly desert and so far it has been great. I think if you have the dough to spend you will be happy too. Don't forget, you can always remove the stabilizer and put it on onother bike if you upgrade in the future. Good luck and have fun.:ride:

WR426001.jpg

WR426002.jpg

WR426003-1.jpg

Some really good info thanks for the replies.

One thing I noticed most of you guy's live in California and presumably do alot of desert - hi speed riding. I live in Thailand and can't remember the last time I hit 5th gear on the trails, its all rocks and trees.

Will a damper help in the rocky / tree environment where even with well set up suspension (and revalve) some "deflection" on hitting rocks and roots is always gonna be present.

Basically I'm wondering if by having the damper set on, say, a medium setting while riding a rock field, will that make it easier to ride?

Apart from the cost is there anything you don't like about the dampers in general?

Some really good info thanks for the replies.

One thing I noticed most of you guy's live in California and presumably do alot of desert - hi speed riding. I live in Thailand and can't remember the last time I hit 5th gear on the trails, its all rocks and trees.

Will a damper help in the rocky / tree environment where even with well set up suspension (and revalve) some "deflection" on hitting rocks and roots is always gonna be present.

I live in western Washington - 90% of my riding is single track, tight trees, rocks and roots. You will not see the same level of benefit that you would in the desert but it will still have an impact on how solid the bike feels and will allow you to be more relaxed and loose on the grips especially if you are charging hard.

Basically I'm wondering if by having the damper set on, say, a medium setting while riding a rock field, will that make it easier to ride?

YES... the Scotts has a function that allows for un-dampened slow speed turning while at the same setting will dampen a hi speed deflection, it's actually perfect in tight trees and technical stuff:thumbsup:

Apart from the cost is there anything you don't like about the dampers in general?

No. You can get lured into a false sense of security and there will always be that one rock that laughs at you and your dampener while you fly thru the air on your way to a yard sale:busted: