Stainless oil filters

Comp Flo, if I recall correctly, is the filter that has the bypass valve held together with an Allen set screw so it can be disassembled (God knows why). These set screws have been known to back out. The parts can't cause any damage, and can't escape into the engine, but while the valve is apart, there's no filtering going on, either.

In looking at all of the copy-cats, the most common thing I see is off-shore manufacture, seams that are folded only ( Scotts welds theirs) and a reduced amount of filter media compared with the Scotts. Say what you want, I haven't seen one yet that matches the Scotts overall quality.

The copy-cats sometimes do actually source their mesh media from the same suppliers Scotts uses, but save money by using less of it in their filters (fewer pleats, and/or pleats not as wide). Lower cost components and materials, and lack of ability to oversee the manufacturing process figure into it for me. For the length of time they last (even if you sell the bike and go to a different brand, you can resell the thing), $10-15 doesn't seem like enough to draw me away.

OK, then it was the CRT that had the screw. If it were me, I would run it in with red Loc-Tite and stake it in place.

Of course, I wouldn't own one, but now I'm just being mean. ?

I'm sure I 'll pick up a Scotts at sometime:bonk: $$$$$$