HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rufusz

'00-'02 426 Handlebar Mounted Hot Start Kit

12 posts in this topic

Hi

I've recently installed the HotCams exhaust cam (with auto-decomp), so restarting the engine when it's hot is easy like hell, but to reach down every time for the hot-start button is annoying. I've only seen Dr.D selling a HotStart kit, but for it retails for 100$, is anything cheaper on the market? Is it worth if I'm not racing the bike?

thx

Dr D is on my 02 right now. I love it! It is a bit pricy but works great. It locates the lever on the throttle side as well so there is the added benefit of not turning your throttle during the restart. I am just getting into racing, doing mostly practice stuff right now, and having the hot start on the bars is the best. Just my two cents :thumbsup:

I have the Dr D one as well and like having it up on the bars.

To be honest though, since I also have auto decomp cams, I have yet to use the hot start.

Hi

I've recently installed the HotCams exhaust cam (with auto-decomp), so restarting the engine when it's hot is easy like hell, but to reach down every time for the hot-start button is annoying. I've only seen Dr.D selling a HotStart kit, but for it retails for 100$, is anything cheaper on the market? Is it worth if I'm not racing the bike?

thx

I think everything it seems is $100.00 or in that range.

Will a later Yamaha hot start fit. Don't the 03 and up come with a hot start cable?
All of the 450's and the '03+ 250F's came with the remote hot start, but it mounts to the carb in a different location, and I'm not certain it would fit the older carb.

That, and I doubt it would be cheaper, since you would need to piece it together.

For anyone searching on options for installing a handlebar mounted hot start kit on their YZ426, I found the hot start cable and a plunger from an ’05 CRF450R works perfectly with an aftermarket (i.e. ASV Rotator Clamp w/ Hot Start Lever) hot start lever. The CRF450R has the 90-degree end on the plunger. You can’t adapt the YZ450 plunger because it comes straight out of the top of the carb. I mounted my hot start lever on the throttle side to remind me not to touch the throttle when kicking this bike over, plus I can still use my left hand to hold in the clutch lever when starting the bike in gear.

That's good to know you confirmed the CRF set-up. I bought my Dr.D set up way back when they first came out and everyone was dealing with them corroding. I kept it alive for a long time by keeping it lubed, but after I changed the the AD cam I never used it but once in a great while and it eventually corroded on me. I just took it off and put the stock one back on. If I had known about thr CRF one, I would have done that instead.

The only good thing that has come out of it is I put the Dr. D lever that I saved all these years on the throttle side of my '09, works way better than the stock one. LOL

For anyone searching on options for installing a handlebar mounted hot start kit on their YZ426, I found the hot start cable and a plunger from an ’05 CRF450R works perfectly with an aftermarket (i.e. ASV Rotator Clamp w/ Hot Start Lever) hot start lever. The CRF450R has the 90-degree end on the plunger. You can’t adapt the YZ450 plunger because it comes straight out of the top of the carb. I mounted my hot start lever on the throttle side to remind me not to touch the throttle when kicking this bike over, plus I can still use my left hand to hold in the clutch lever when starting the bike in gear.

Interesting.. I've never been able to start my 426 in gear (maybe clutch adjustment) My Yamaha RoadStar is the same way

Honestly, I was surprised I could. My XR650R is pretty good about starting in gear with the clutch pulled in. Maybe I've just developed a strong kicking leg? I rode my YZ426 on Saturday and kept having trouble finding neutral when I came to a stop. I finally said screw it, just hit the kill button, and pull in the clutch when I go to kick it. So far so good.

My 426 has been pretty easy to start in gear as well, but only in 1st or 2nd, 3rd and higher not so much, don't know why.

My '09 450 will start in gear as well, but not as easy and not every time, so...........dunno. :moon:

my 05 450 starts in gear easily enough. Is there a reason i should NOT start it in gear?