2006 yz450f Reliability Any Problems?

No issues with mine, but it's got low hours on it. Also keep an eye on the steering head bearings, especially if you power wash your bike. The seal on the top of the steering head under the clamp has been known to leak- I think the 07 one is a better design.

Some of the 06s have had a stretched Cam Chain. This can jump and cause havoc, but a easy fix -

The headbearing seal design is pityful...bearings must be maintained every 6hrs to keep from rusting you can upgrade seal to 07 -08

Mechanically they are bullet proof and the motor is pure magic!

Here are the only "weak" points I can think of right off hand:

> Fork seals. The '06 went to a low drag design to slick up the suspension further, and ended up with seals that leak early. The replacements have been upgraded so they shouldn't repeat this if you use current stock.

> Steering head upper bearing seal. Like Dave said, it leaks. The replacement upper bearing currently listed incorporates a second seal integral with the bearing and fixes this. The upper seal itself remains the same, however.

> Shift cam index lever ("stopper lever"). The '06 again went to a redesign here, using a small bearing in place of the typical simple roller to improve shifting. A very few of these bearings have fallen apart. No major damage has resulted from this as far as I know, but it's a good idea to use a magnetic crankcase drain plug, so that if it does let go, the 8-10 pinhead sized ball bearings will end up there. Again, the '07 part was improved.

> Water pump seals. Actually calling this a weak point is maybe too critical. But, I have heard a larger number of complaints of leaking water pumps on '06's than older bikes. Not a lot, but some. My oldest '06 just had one go out after 22 months, and that's the first one I've ever had fail. Still a pretty small thing.

darrell- even if you're not going faster, the 06 feels faster because its so much lighter. I rode my 00 426 for 6 years before I traded it for my wife's snowmobile and bought my 06... I loved my 426 to death but the 06 is just better, hands down. Feels meatier too (more power).

I just recently did what you are considering with the help of the board and the search button. I had a 02 426 that had a good amount of hours on the bike and still was powerful and very reliable but I needed something newer. I got a 06 450 and couldn't be happier. The bike power wise is more linear and smooth than the 426. It feels a little more tame powerwise but the 450 is actually just a smoother delivery of power. The weight of the two will baffle you while riding them. You will not notice weight all that much unless you go back and ride the 426.

I'm thrilled to death with mine.

I did have the water pump seal and fork seals leaking on mine but an hour of time and a few seals and everything is perfect. You cannot go wrong. Do it.?

I race the crap out of mine and considered a new one (08) however the motor is the best one made to date. All the magazines put it down for too much power, but the throttle works both ways and I've never had a problem being up front to the first turn!