HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BASSic

Paper or Brass Mesh?

10 posts in this topic

I know the Scotts filter is the way to go, but I'm not getting one just yet. Are the brass mesh filters from the 00-02 YZ426 interchangeable with the paper/fiber filters for the 03+ YZ450?

I've been changing my oil after every ride since I replaced my clutch, and I've been reusing the OEM brass mesh filter, cleaning out all the metal shavings with carb cleaner, a toothbrush, and compressed air.

That's not advisable. First, the OEM brass mesh filters don't filter well at all. They won't stop anything smaller than about 80 microns, which is an object well over twice the size of that stopped by a Scotts.

For another thing, they are too delicate to be cleaned repeatedly. Even compressed air can spread the mesh in places so that they will pass even larger debris than they started out allowing.

If you aren't going to use a Scotts, use a good paper filter instead.

Are there any other reusable filters that are as good as Scotts Gray?

Ebay, RMATV, Motosport all have some (different mfgs) that say they filter to 35 microns like the scotts, but are they as good?

Not in my opinion, no. The reasons vary with the individual filters, but in general, they don't rise to the same level of quality/performance in one or more ways.

What is the recommended method for cleaning the Scotts filter? I recall reading something about soaking it in solvent. Should you stay away from compressed air and/or a brush? I'm thinking that just a soak in solvent wouldn't be enough to remove the trapped metal particles that I'm finding.

I'll be jumping on the scotts bandwagon as soon as the rest of my paper filters are gone. My only concern is how do you verify that you have truly cleaned the filter?

At the considerable risk of sounding crazy (it was bound to come out eventually), what's the difference if it isn't 100% clean? There is a chance of "trapped" particles dislodging from a paper filter and taking another lap through the oil system, but paper filters are a multi-pass approach anyway, and something that would dislodge and pass through the element was just as likely to not have been caught in the first place.

A Scotts , however, is an absolute filter. Things that are too big to pass will never pass, even if you leave them there all year. Sure, you need to clean the filter, but if a couple of 40 micron chunks happen to stay stuck until next time, it's no big deal.

Here`s my way: put it in a little jar and fill it 2/3 with gas. Screw the cap on and start shaking it. Then do it one more time with fresh gas. After that I use compressed air to blow all that is left from inside out.

Brush seems a bit dangerous for my mind.

The thing that is wrong with that approach is that it allows the debris you wash off the outside to potentially get into the inside, which is where th eclean oil is. Better to cover the outlet port with a finger by holding the element by its ends when swishing it around. Also, be sure your compressed air source is filtered well. I agree regarding the brush, though.