radiator guards vs. braces

hey does can anyone recommend a good radiator guard or brace that will protect my radiator well? i was in a head on collision this afternoon and crushed my radiator for the second time. im looking for the most heavy duty guard or brace that will keep my radiator safe.

A head on collision will do a lot of damage regardless of any brace or guard being fitted, especially if there is some momentum/speed involved.

I have Flatland guards fitted to my 400 and have recently put them to the test with a hard drop on the left hand side of the bike (bent both forks and demolished the shrouds). The guards twisted a little (which I was able to straighten quite easily) and most certainly saved the radiator.

I ride desert in high temperatures (40 deg C+ in summer) and have not had any cooling airlfow issues with these guards.

I got a set of Roosters on Ebay. I am very happy with them. Nice fit and finish. I think I paid about $50 shipped. I had a set of Flatlands on my Honda and they are nice, but if I remember correctly, they were twice the Roosters price; and I actually like the Roosters more.

I also got those roosters from ebay. Very pleased with them so far. I have had two pretty hard crashes and its all good so far. Also they look nice in my opinion!

I bought the flatlands through TT store and couldn't be happier. Fit and finish were excellent and no ill cooling effects. I even ran them hard in some pretty muddy stuff, and they did not clog any worse then the stock plastic guards. I have been real lucky since i put them on and have only had a couple low speed layovers. They are still straight as an arrow! I payed around 90 bucks delivered.

I put on Moose radiator braces (06 YZ450) and they seem really strong.:thumbsup:

However I had to cut away lots of plastic off the shrouds to get them on.:ride:

I put the Devol guards on my 400. Cheapest place I could find them was at motorsport.com. So far no overheating or other issues.

are the works connection braces good?? or are the guards better??

im a big fan on the zip ty cages. my buddy has them on his 06 and hes had some pretty bad crashes.. still in excellent shape. i plan on getting some myself when i get my rad back form the shop.

are the works connection braces good?? or are the guards better??

Braces vs. cages depends on what year bike you have- 98-05 use braces, 06 and up (for Yamahas) use cages. I had Works Connection braces on my 00 426 and now have Works Connection cages on my 06 and I've been very happy with both. I haven't put the cages to the test yet, but I did with the braces a few times and they never flinched and my rads stayed straight. The WC cages took a bit of trimming on my stock shrouds (2 small tabs on the back side of the shroud if I remember right) but when I bought Acerbis shrouds for my new graphics I didn't have to trim anything- the package said 250F on it and that might be the reason I didn't have to trim anything.

wc cages are the best in my opinion:thumbsup:

I like the Zip Ty, but no additional front roost protection.

Nobody mentioned Unabikers? The 2 sides bolt together making it a solid 1 piece guard. I know a lot of people like the Devols but I broke one on my WR.

P4300078.jpg

Nobody mentioned Unabikers? The 2 sides bolt together making it a solid 1 piece guard. I know a lot of people like the Devols but I broke one on my WR.

P4300078.jpg

+1 on the Unabikers. Got a set on both YZ & WR and holding up well. Plus you can get them through Thumpertalk :thumbsup: