• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

just found this post and i'm wondering if i can get some clarification here on the rear. i've read through this 20 times and my ADD is really giving me hell and now i'm quite confused on "what" can be mixed with "what"... so here's my situation:

i have an 04wr450 and (from what i can tell) i inadvertently bought a 98-earlier hub (it has a axle that is much smaller and the spacing is way off).

if i were to get bearings (like the ones referenced below or otherwise) and spacers to make this work, what exactly do i need...?

thanks

flynn

I just went through all of this on SMJunky, and a guy named "Whaler" helped me find a brg to fit the 22mm axle and the 42mm hub... you need to go to, of all places, unicycle.com . Here is a quote from him.

Whaler... "How about something a little closer to home for you... like Calgary...

http://unicycle.cc/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=178

You need the "ISIS" bearings...

At $8 a pair you can't lose....

For what it's worth even if the bearings are only rated at ABEC-1 they would still be plenty good enough for a motorcycle. The only problem I can see with a unicycle bearing is the bike may want to wheelie more, to get back to it's unicycle roots..."

I did get a message back from a fellow at the website and here is what he gave me...

Hello Jamie

I don't know whether these bearings are designed for your intended use. You can obtain them from our sister shop in the USA: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1015 for $8 each. If they turn out to be unsuitable then you've not wasted a huge amount of money...

Keep it wheel!

Tony Melton

If you check out the link directly above, you will see a pic of the brg....

Jamie

www.unicycle.co.nz

• 8 months later...

Great info! But I still have an on going issue. Just missed out on a set of exact wheel for my WR450 2006.

I found a set of complete wheels from a 2004 YZY450/ Looks like the rear will be a direct bolt on. The front -- is there an easy way to make the speedo drive work or is that just impossible?

Thanks in advance!!

I found a set of complete wheels from a 2004 YZY450/ Looks like the rear will be a direct bolt on. The front -- is there an easy way to make the speedo drive work or is that just impossible?

The WR front hub is different, having a notch cut in it to drive the speedo that the YZ lacks. You would need to look the two over side by side to see if there is something you could do, but I don't imagine it would be simple. Remember that the speedo drive is also the right side bearing seal on the WR.

The WR front hub is different, having a notch cut in it to drive the speedo that the YZ lacks. You would need to look the two over side by side to see if there is something you could do, but I don't imagine it would be simple. Remember that the speedo drive is also the right side bearing seal on the WR.

THANKS, even though that's not what I wanted to here. I guess I'll hold out until I find a set of WR specific Wheels.

grayracer513

Wheels are a headache. Warp9 doesn't offer anything that allows the use of my factory speedo. I found these -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220472956759&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Off a 2009 WR250x --------- will these work ???

I never thought it would be this big of a pain to get a set of wheels. I guess it wouldn't be if I wanted to spend $1200 on a pair of wheels.

• 4 weeks later...

So I believe 09/10 yz450 wheels are the same correct?

Also is it correct that the front wheel will interchange with older bikes(03 and up)?

I know the rear wheel(09/10) has changed to a larger axle diameter correct?

Is there any easy way to make your old wheels work on a new bike? I am assuming one will have to buy new rear hubs or sell exsisting wheels and replace.

Like many of you I am drooling over the 2010 and want to buy one but just wanted to see whats up with all my extra wheels now that I have a nice collection of them. Thanks

The '09 front wheel will fit earlier bikes back to '02 (or farther) if used with the axle/spacers appropriate to the bike. The '09 rear axle is larger, and the hub takes larger bearings, so there is no practical way to use any earlier rear wheels in an '09.

I have no info regarding the axle/bearing/wheel interchangeability with the '10.

I'm in the process of making a rear wheel setup for my 09'. I bought a new 07' rear wheel hub etc. I un-laced the wheel installed my new 09' hub and re-laced the wheel again using the same spokes etc.. There is two other ways you can do this but I didn't really care for them.

Other ways are:

You can use the old 22mm axle and axle blocks in the new swingarm, but you will need to jerryrig a 25mm to 22mm sleeve for the bake caliper bracket and add an extra washer to the axle to take up length.

If you have aftermarket hubs, like talon wheels you can change the two 22mm bearings to new bearings with an inside diameter of 25mm. You will also have to change the wheel spacers and inner axle tube.

yz007f

• 1 month later...

Doesn't the two stroke wheel and the four stroke wheel have different thickness/strength of spokes? I was under the unserstanding that the spokes of a four stroke have to be more beefy than a two stroke because of the power/torque difference. Is this really not the case?

• 1 month later...