Airbox washing?

+1

When I get the subframe off, I rubber band a plastic bag over the carb input and use a toilet brush to clean the area around the upper and lower spring perch. Much, much easier to get all of the dirt and mud out of there with the subframe off.

I don't. For one thing, my air filters don't leak gunk because I pre-oil them and hang them over a can for 24 hours before installing them. When I change out the dirty filter, I mop out the air box with a disposable shop towle and solvent (mineral spirits).

I do the same thing......Just oil your filters(if you have more than one)and let them dry for a day.I have five NO-Toil airfilters and wait until I have four of them dirty and then clean all four at the same time and then I let them dry and then oil all of them at the same time. When it comes time to change the filter I have one ready to go in. By the time I get to the fourth filter it has had nearly a month to hang. I have never had an issue with gunk or excessive oil in the breather.?

I use to fight and struggle cleaning mine untill I learned it is way easier and faster to just take the sub frame off and clean it that way. As with anything else on a dirt bike it's easier to clean it every time vice waiting for it to build up. If you have "gunk" in your box from your filter you are using way to much filter oil. I use to have this problem untill I switched to the spray oil. Easier to control amount of oil without wasting. When I was using to oil from a bottle I could only get 2-3 filters out of it, with the spray I get at least 7.

I use to fight and struggle cleaning mine untill I learned it is way easier and faster to just take the sub frame off and clean it that way. As with anything else on a dirt bike it's easier to clean it every time vice waiting for it to build up. If you have "gunk" in your box from your filter you are using way to much filter oil. I use to have this problem untill I switched to the spray oil. Easier to control amount of oil without wasting. When I was using to oil from a bottle I could only get 2-3 filters out of it, with the spray I get at least 7.

I use the 1/2 gallon bottle of NO-Toil oil now but when I was useing the 16oz bottle I would pour all of it in a ice cream bucket that comes with a lid and dip my filter down it and squeeze out all the excess. Put the lid back on and store it in the closet in the house where it is room tempture which is about 70 to 75 degrees. I could get around 7 filters out of it,but you will waste alot if you do not do it this way because if you just pour the oil over the filter and let it drain in a bowl or something and after squeezeing out the oil of the filter and then pouring it back into the oil bottle you will leave some oil in the bowl and after about three changes there would be enough oil left over to oil another filter or two.

yeah, the 06+ is a pain to put the airboot back on but my dad and i figured out if you take off of the top bolt for the shock you can move the shock out of the way (it was in the way for us) and the airboot slipped right on, then tighten that and put the shock bolt back in and put the subframe back on.

but back to gunky airbox, mine is gunky as all hell. i'm a failure at oiling air filters, i always over-oil them. i can never get it right. ?

i dont let the filters sit overnight, i just oil it lightly, install and ride. i change it every ride anyways. so light oil for me is the ticket, unless im riding sand.
That approach won't work here. Too much fine dust, especially in the deserts. The only hope of keeping it out is to have the filters thoroughly oiled all the way through with an aggressive filter oil. To see it you would swear you couldn't grind rocks into that fine a powder. The stuff hangs in the air like smoke, and weighs next to nothing. Not so bad on a well groomed track of course, but....

Me:

CBESRR2sm.jpg

Junior:

Amago1007sm3.jpg

I guess I am a slack@$$....I spray simple green (litely) 50/50 mix with water directly into the airbox (all over)while dirty filter is still installed...wait 1min and blast it with my hose for approx 2-5sec. I then let all water drain and redo again then remove wet nasty airfilter and then papertowel out all water....there is only a few drops in the airbox lower section each time. Remember no more than 2-5sec....otherwise water level rises too much to go into carb.....remember it drains out....just do not get water level to rise past lower lip (bottom of airfilter).....remember oiled filter keeps most water out

or just get smart and buy the darn Twinair cover....?