what size sprockets are you running on 03

I just purchased a 03 yz450f a couple months ago. Finally fixed all the little problems. Its time to buy new chain and sprockets. The bike has a front 14 and and back 50. Which I think is alittle big for the back. What are you guys running? Being that Im now the big 40 and running motocross and supercross style tracks whats the best gearing. Thanks

I was thinking 48 or 49 in the back. I just test rode the bike all weekend and way to much shifting. Also the punch on this bike is scary. If I don't roll the throttle and snap it I get myself in trouble. Takes all my energy just to control it. Guess Im out of shape. Plus havn't rode in 4 years. But the great thing is after 2 days of riding and all the aches and pains, I have a big smile on my face.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I ran a 14-52 on soft dirt ( sand/loam ) mx tracks with only short straights like 175ft to 250ft at the most. I never really ran out of gear. longer tracks I ran 14-49. With the 14-52 set I will pull 3rd gear starts and pull mean holeshots with that set up.? with the 14-49 I could pull 3rd gear starts still but it would spin a lot though so it was better using 2nd gear with that set up:thumbsup: