Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Megatron

08 WR450 Carborator, easyest way to get it out?

11 posts in this topic

My bro just bought the bike a couple day's ago and he's dying to be able to keep up to my KTM 525 EXC. We are trying to put in a yz throttle screw because the WR limiter sucks. What is the easyest way to get at this? Other mod sugestions welcome.

Thanks for the quick response, resinlips. I did search a bit for it but couldn't find a quick link.We are in the middle of changing it out right now so I didn't want to sit in front of my computer looking for it.

I welded a piece of a allen wrench to the end of an 18" long 1/4" metal dow rod. You can run it up behind the rear shock and right onto the throttle stop. It worked great on my 07 wr450. didn't take anything else off to do it.

Easiest way is to use a ball end Allen on an extension with a rachet. Failing that, a regular ball end allen wrench will do the job. At worse, it takes ten minutes (This includes dropping the wrench five times, hollering at the wife to get the dogs back inside as they keep walking between you and the bike and a few minutes looking at your neighbor, sunning herself.)

The ball end allen wrench idea worked perfectly. I only removed the covers around the air filter so I could see what I was doing. Barely had to remove anything and it only took 15 minutes after I dicovered this way. I'd bet that if I had to do this again, it would take less than 10 minutes from start to finish. Unless you are replacing jets there is no reason to have to remove the rear shock or the sub-frame.

Soon a mean person will reply telling you do a search and read the Stickys!:thumbsup:

Sorry, but your screen name is funny as hell.... I laugh everytime I see it:thumbsup:

1 person likes this

I'd bet that if I had to do this again, it would take less than 10 minutes from start to finish. Unless you are replacing jets there is no reason to have to remove the rear shock or the sub-frame.

You don't even have to remove the shock or subframe to get to the main, pilot, or needle

I have never had my carb out, or removed the shock or any of the subframe bolts. You can do EVERYTHING with the carb on.

I have swapped needle, pilot, main, leak jet and done the o-ring mod to AP linkage without significant disassembly of the bike.