left fork is leaking a little!!!

My 06 450 is leaking a little fluid from the left fork(when sitting on bike).When you compress the forks several times you can see fluid on the piston,even see some drip down. Would this be the fork seal? I just had the suspension guy service my forks a week before march the fourth of 2008. He said the fork seals was alright and all they done was cganged the fluid. I just ran three races with it since I had it serviced but just noticed it leaking today. When I was at the last race which was the third weekend in marh I went around a left hand turn and crashed because the front end seemed to washed out,Would this have caused it? or does it have to leak a whole lot in order to lose enough fluid to cause it to wash out? How do you go about replacing a dust seal or oil seal to fix it?

Yes it is the fork seal. Does it need replaced? Probably not. There is a thread on page 3 (it is as of right now) of this forum on leaking fork seals and cleaning them. Take a look at that.

Loss of fluid will cause uneven performance in the forks action. How much fluid is lost will effect how much difference there will be. You personally will have to determine if it's enough for you to notice. Without cleaning (or replacing if that is needed) the fork seal you will probably continue to loose fluid.

Pull down the dust seal and clean them......OEM seals are designed to be cleaned....get used to it....some do this every ride

or

Synergy Seals....they do not require constant cleaning

Nice video BTW - thanks for posting this

Well! I went out today to inspect the left fork and to my surprise it had'nt leaked none. But of course the bike was sitting on a stand to where both tires is off the floor. I climbed up on the bike while it was still on the stand and pulled in the front braked and rocked the bike foward and compressed the forks about two or three inches and then looked at the left fork and seen a little fluid running down the chrome piston. I then done the binding procedure where you tighten the axel nut first to 75 lbs. and then spin the tire several times and hit the front brake and then tighten the pinch bolts on the caliper side first and then repeat on the other side. after doing this took the bike off the stand and compressed the forks several times and then took a look. This time there was sill a little fluid on the cylinder but not like before,this time it was just a little film ring(not a vass amount running). I will tomorrow try the tear off treatment or 35mm treatment and clean them and see if that works. If not then I will guess I will have to replace the seals. BTW how is the best way to clean them because I dont see how dirt could have got up in there(I use the Krewmx velcro neoprene sox) And this is the first issue I have had with the fork leaking.

Done the 35mm film treatment and still no luck(there is still a little thin film of fluid on the left fork when compressed) Do you guys think that when I had them serviced that my suspension tech guy used a real slick oil for the seals and it is just that that is coming off?

Done the 35mm film treatment and still no luck(there is still a little thin film of fluid on the left fork when compressed) Do you guys think that when I had them serviced that my suspension tech guy used a real slick oil for the seals and it is just that that is coming off?

pull down the dust shield to clean.....then you can get all the grit out. The card method only moves things around if there is grit in there

you will have to repeat the cleaning sequence 3 or 4 times with the 35mm film, and make sure you're pulling down the dust seals. it's also very important to clean the fork legs, dust seals, and the outer part of the actual oil seal. I used a spray bottle to get some Simple Green cleanser all over the areas that needed to be cleaned. I cleaned mine really well before and after the 35mm treatment, they still left a thin film of oil on the fork leg, but it wasn't dripping anymore. Even after cleaning them they will leave that thin film until they are put to use. I took my bike for a ride the next day and there was no more leaking after that. It just takes some patience. It sounds like you're getting close to the desired result.

Here is what I do for cleaning. Pull fork guards off, pull dust seal down. Good shot of contact cleaner (Brake cleaner works too) on to the seal. Whip out dust and dirt. I then use a business card instead of film and I put a little fork seal grease on it (this is not needed really). Push the card up inside the seal run it all the way around, pull it out, throw away and repeat a few times with a fresh card so I'm not pushing crap back up there. One more shot of contact cleaner and a light wipe. Then I clean up the dust seal with contact clearner and use a biz card on it. Put it back together. This has worked very well for me for years now and on lots of bikes.

Instead of film, I use plastic sheets from a plastic laminator. You can even cut the shape of a hook on an end...works to pull out small dirt particles.

We've also gone to running bleeders on the forks, which seems to have helped more than anything else.

pull down the dust shield to clean.....then you can get all the grit out. The card method only moves things around if there is grit in there

How do you pull down the dust sheild?....On mine it has a rubber stopper right underneath the outer tube with a spring around it,is this the dust sheild? I tried to pull it down after i took that spring off but it seemed so tight and hardly a place to get a hold of it good enough to pull it down.I will go back out and try it in a few minutes again but let me know how you all pulled it down.

Just went back out and looked at the dust sheid and took a small screwdriver and stuck it in easy at the gap at the top of the dust sheild and turned the drver like you were trying to tighten a screw and the dust sheild came down a little,enough to where i could pull it on down. Ithen took a buisness card and stuck it up in the seal a good ways and went around(a little hard to get the card to go around)but done it and some fluid came down the cylinder.wiped it off put the dust sheild back on and compressed the forks about five times,took a look and there was a small amount of fluid on the cylinder.Wiped it off and then compressed the forks about five more times and this time they were just two thin rings of film around the cylinder.wiped it off and tried it again and this time to my amazement they were no fluid on the cylinder.I guess the problem is solve until I can go riding again and see how it does under pressure. Thanks guys!!!