What pipe for new Montana 96 Decible law??

Montana now has a 96 max Decible law

My question is I go to the dunes 1-2 times a year and I would like a pipe that would give me all the power of stock or better in the dunes then back to 96dec with a spark arrester in the woods.

I have a 05 right now but may get a 06 if I can find a good one.

Here are the rules

10 Section 1. Section 61-9-418, MCA, is amended to read:

11 "61-9-418. Motorcycle and quadricycle noise suppression devices -- quadricycle spark arrester.

12 (1) All motorcycles or quadricycles operated on the streets and highways of this state shall must be equipped at

13 all times with noise suppression devices, including an exhaust muffler, in good working order and in constant

14 operation. In addition, all motorcycles and quadricycles operating on streets and highways shall must meet the

15 following noise decibel limitations, on the standard A scale, such decibel limitations to be measured at 50 feet

16 distant from the closest point to the motorcycle or quadricycle:

The newer Dr. D pipes claim 96 DB with the quiet insert. Not sure if you can have a spark arrestor anf the quiet insert both installed or not though? I'm sure someone else could help you out more with that one.

Back in 2003 we were up in the trees, we thouhgt, this is the last place we would see a ranger. What do know, a ranger is blocking the trail and testing bikes for 96 db noise level. Area is Las Padres NF. He was cool so we were cool. Only one of us was above the 96 db level. He said get it fixed before coming back.

Since then with budget cuts, their seems to be a shortage of rangers patrolling the area. I dont doubt their out there, but I seem to hear a lot of loud bikes up in the forest.

I'm for all the quiet stuff, we got lucky and were warned to what was to come, I just hope that worst is not around the corner for us Thumpers.

Wow this sucks, does anyone know how load a 06 yz 450 is? I would like to see how they are going to be checking all the bikes on a good 3 day weekend when the mountains and all the ohv parks are packed with pissed off riders who have to wait for some ranger to check them all? Should be interesting to see.

I know a guy that used to be a ranger this last winter. They are going to be in and out of the main parking lots all day and on the trails as well with the new meters that the FS (we) paid for. So they will be checking and I would just rather be in the right than get a ticket or warning.

It is for all off road bikes as well.

They have bought the FS all new Decible readers so they will be checking for sure.

it only says for streets and highways though. hence why your bike has an "off-highway vehicle" sticker on it. they can check you all they want but according to that law that can't do anything but give you a dirty look. ?

I have the fmf q 4 on my '08. Have had it on there since right after I broke it in. Has a lot more power than the stock pipe. Has the sparky built in. I like the pipe, I have ridden a buddies bike that has DR D. it does have more power, however it is ear peircing loud. ? In the hare scrambles series I race we have to meet 96 db, tested by the "jablahblah" national test, meaning tested at 20" away at a 45 degree angle from the exhaust. While it has blown 96 one time, it normaly blows in the 'hood of 93 db. I still use the stock head pipe. For what its worth, if you ever do get tested, stay on the bike, hug your legs in tight around the motor, and keep the clutch pulled in. ?:confused: