HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Motor Head

What year XR 650 is best value?

11 posts in this topic

Hi, Im looking to get an XR 650 and want to get something fairly modern but I dont want to pay more for an 06-07 if an 02-03 is the same thing. thanks for any help.

Hi, Im looking to get an XR 650 and want to get something fairly modern but I dont want to pay more for an 06-07 if an 02-03 is the same thing. thanks for any help.

Which, L or R?

Look for older, cleaner models when going for the L. They are pretty much unchanged from 93 to 08.

I looked at everything from 01's with 10K miles to 04' with 1800 miles. $3000 to $3800 is best I could find. For $1500 more, I got a brand new one. I rather deal with putting on the mods myself than deal with someone elses mistakes or problems.

R if it can legaly titled, I live in upstate near mass

I believe Maroast is in New York and he terrorizes the streets on a plated R.

I believe Maroast is in New York and he terrorizes the streets on a plated R.

Yeah, if you do just the right thing, it can happen. Bring in a plated bike from another state? Catch someone at DMV just after lunch? I don't know what the magic formula is, but I don't think the success rate is 100%.

Dave

All basically the same. Changed the graphics over the years & the 2000 - 2001 needed the improved clutch bushing also improved the CS seal. I changed the bushing in my 2001.

the updated bushing and Counter shaft seal are like ~$11-15 each and that will make a 2000-2002 just like the rest...so don't let that be your decision but if you do get a 2000-2001 (a few 2002 from what I heard) just replace them both to help you sleep!