Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dustdogg

Freshening up my 426

10 posts in this topic

I bought my WR426 new back in 02' and so far it has been a great bike. The bike is mostly stock except for the free mods/JD jetting, YZ seat/Clarke tank, YZ stock exhaust w/Pro Moto spark arrestor, BRP sub mounted Scotts dampener and Precision Concepts Suspension. This bike works great out in the desert and I feel that the mods I've done so far have been very beneficial.

I have kept track of my milege since the bike was purchased and I am at 3000 miles. I change the oil and clean the air filter regularly as well as check the valves, which by the way are still in spec. Gotta love those Yamaha motors:thumbsup: Now it's time to replace some general wear items such as brakes, chain and sprokets. How do you feel about brake pads? I could go OEM , aftermarket or I have also heard that Honda OEM pads work even better. Althought if this is the case what models fit? As for the chain and sprockets, I can't complain about the stock D.I.D. O-Ring so I plan to replace it with a new D.I.D X-Ring. As for sprockets I was looking at the Iron Man or the Renthal Twin Ring. What are your thoughts? I want something that will last and mabey save a little weight. While I'm foolin with the chain I thought I might change the rear chain block, since my stocker is beat. I was thinking either BRP or T.M.

Thanks for the replies. Here is a picture. I know its not quite a 450 but I still love this bike.:thumbsup:

WR426.jpg

Nice bike. I own a '01 426 myself and have always liked it. For the final drive I'd go renthal with chain and sprockets and TM design for the guide and slider. That's what I'm gonna buy this year for mine being in the same situation. As for the brake pads, you can find some good deals on EBC pads in many online parts providing stores. I even saw some on ebay recently I think... On my side, my project bike is not finished. I still haven't dialed the jetting to what I'd like because of the off idle bog. This is really getting on my nerves now. This year, I'm trying YZ jet needles (EJP and EJN) to see if I can improve the throttle response (the bike is YZ timed) and I also might try the o-ring mod...

Nice bike. I own a '01 426 myself and have always liked it. For the final drive I'd go renthal with chain and sprockets and TM design for the guide and slider. That's what I'm gonna buy this year for mine being in the same situation. As for the brake pads, you can find some good deals on EBC pads in many online parts providing stores. I even saw some on ebay recently I think... On my side, my project bike is not finished. I still haven't dialed the jetting to what I'd like because of the off idle bog. This is really getting on my nerves now. This year, I'm trying YZ jet needles (EJP and EJN) to see if I can improve the throttle response (the bike is YZ timed) and I also might try the o-ring mod...

Ever since last summer I've been a HUGE advocate of the O-ring mod. Do jet properly with different needles and such, but do the O-ring first and go from there. Out of all the adjustments I've made with jetting, BK, etc..o-ring was the best. I have the 01'WR426.

I'm not a big fan of the aluminum sprockets. I had one on my '02 YZ426. It rounded off sooner than I had anticipated. For me that's not worth the weight reduction.

dude you have 3000 miles...dang my 06 has 8000 and its still running great!!! nice bike by the way and i like how you have it cable locked!!!

dude you have 3000 miles...dang my 06 has 8000 and its still running great!!! nice bike by the way and i like how you have it cable locked!!!

Thanks, I wish I could put more miles on it but it seems as though there is always something we have to do:foul: It's good to hear there are alot of bikes out there with high miles that are still running good. I keep up with the maintenance and check the valves so I expect many more trouble free miles. I think Yamaha really has their 4 strokes figured out, I will definately go blue with the next one.:eek:

You guys have that many miles with stock engines? No parts have been replaced? I just bought a new timing chain just to be on the safe side and I only have I'm guessing 2500 miles at the most.

I've also thought about changing out the piston and rings to freshen it up. Not because mine are bad, just for preventative maintenence.

You guys have that many miles with stock engines? No parts have been replaced? I just bought a new timing chain just to be on the safe side and I only have I'm guessing 2500 miles at the most.

There are lots of guys on this forum with a lot more miles than me (3000). They are of course on Yamaha 's which are proven to be one of the most reliable four strokes. The key to this is keeping up with the maintenance. I change the oil and clean the air filter regularly as well as check the valves. I would expect to at least make a valve adjustment or two before having to dig into the motor.:p

I think sometimes people take what the read in the mags and the internet too far. Just because Bubba swaps motors or frames every few races doesn't mean the average "Joe" needs to. I ride for fun, I do not race. If I did race I would have ridden the bike much harder therfore requiring the need for many new parts. As it is now, I have had my bike long enough to get it figured out. The jetting is perfect, and the suspension is dialed in for my weight and terrain. I have confidence that when my buddies and I head out on that 100 mile desert ride that the bike will perform flawlessly, and so far it has.:eek:

To sum it up, with good maintanence these bikes will give you many miles of trouble free service. But unlike the XR's of the past, if you don't maintain it your pocket book will be much lighter.

Somewhere between 7000 and 7500 on my '01 (depending on how much the original owner fudged his estimate) when I rebuilt it. The primary drive nut backed off, and the loose gear tore up the splines on the crank. The center intake valve was just starting to move at the time (shimmed it once), and the bore and piston were both still within limits (but momma thinks they were out...hence the big bore kit (ssshhhhhh...don't tell)

1 person likes this