Fork rebuild time 04 L.

i believe a piece of pvc can be used/cut for a preload spacer...also 5psi of air in the forks has worked so far:thumbsup: ...but be careful since many will say "ur gunna put ur eye out!" ?

?

First for the shock. There have been posts about this before. Pivot Works has them, but you may need to call. details here https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4207078#post4207078

The first thing to do with the forks is to play with the adjustments. Your forks have a compression adjuster at the bottom under a plastic cover. Try turning them in one click at a time. Just one click can make a big difference. The best way is to park near a little trail section where you can go over an over testing the settings. Do the same for the shock. The adjustment on the reservoir is the compression and the one at the bottom of the shock is the rebound.

I don't think that progressives will really help you. I really did not read much good about them for offroad. They may be a little better on road. From what I can tell they will not help much against bottoming. I believe that I have a set that I got in a pair of ebay forks for my XR600.

Stiffer springs are what you need. Adding a spacer does not make the springs any stiffer. In general it doesn't help. The problem is that there is not much in the way of heavier springs. Unless you have a very early L the springs are .44kg/mm and the stiffest aftermarket ones are only .46kg/mm. I think that by cutting the stockers .48 or even .50kg/mm should be possible.

First for the shock. There have been posts about this before. Pivot Works has them, but you may need to call. details here https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4207078#post4207078

The first thing to do with the forks is to play with the adjustments. Your forks have a compression adjuster at the bottom under a plastic cover. Try turning them in one click at a time. Just one click can make a big difference. The best way is to park near a little trail section where you can go over an over testing the settings. Do the same for the shock. The adjustment on the reservoir is the compression and the one at the bottom of the shock is the rebound.

I don't think that progressives will really help you. I really did not read much good about them for offroad. They may be a little better on road. From what I can tell they will not help much against bottoming. I believe that I have a set that I got in a pair of ebay forks for my XR600.

Stiffer springs are what you need. Adding a spacer does not make the springs any stiffer. In general it doesn't help. The problem is that there is not much in the way of heavier springs. Unless you have a very early L the springs are .44kg/mm and the stiffest aftermarket ones are only .46kg/mm. I think that by cutting the stockers .48 or even .50kg/mm should be possible.

The new listing from the pivot works kits still says it did not include the top. I will have to call them.

I was afraid of that for the springs. So if I cut the stock springs and add a spacer back to the original height it will be stiffer? Will it resist bottoming or just be stiffer overall?

• 2 weeks later...

Update;

This weekend I rebuilt my forks, new bushings and seals, and cut my springs.

I calculated new rate to be .47kg-ish. The hardest part of shortening the springs was getting over the fact that I was cutting the springs.?

I found a 3/4 schedule 80 PVC coupling was the correct diameter for the spacer. I was able to heat the springs to bend them with a propane torch.

The numbers, cut 3 coils from the springs, added a 1-3/4" spacer to bring it back to the stock spring length, (one spring stock was 1/4" shorter than the other). Valvoline synthetic ATF to the stock 5.7" height, rebound 4 clicks from full soft, (for the street).

So far, just riding on the street, it feel much more planted, almost no fork dive on braking. The front end sat much higher with the stiffer springs, so I also raised the fork tubes, so steering should be quicker as well.

I can't wait to take it off of some sweet jumps!