426 starting tricks

ok i cant rember the trick to starting my 426. i know there is a vido on here but i cant find it?

help????:thumbsup:

No auto decomp I take it?

1. Push kickstart down until you can't easily turn it over anymore

2. Pull decomp lever

3. Push kickstart down about 2" and release

4. Kick like you mean it!!!

I had a 2000 426 and hated having to start that thing, but that's my issue!!!

I would 1st kick it about a 3rd of the way down, (stop) pull in the decompression lever and continue to the bottom. I would release the decompression lever and let the kick starter return to the top and then do a full kick all the way through with my hands on the inside of my bars so as not to give it any gas. If it was cold I would twist the throttle a few times, pull the choke and go through the kick stating routine. Be careful and make sure to not let the compression build up on you or else that thing will lash back up and almost break your ankle. I made sure to always have my boots on when kicking it over. And yes, you have to do that everytime just to get in one complete kick... Good luck!!!

ok i cant rember the trick to starting my 426. i know there is a vido on here but i cant find it?

help????:thumbsup:

It's located in the commons threads section at the top of the forum.

How to Start a YZ426 (Video with Doug Dubach- Special Thanks to Yamaha Motors, and all the Good People at Dubach Racing Development)

(Requires QuickTime, or a player that will handle QT videos)

Part 1: (Cold Start) http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/4s...roke_vid_a.mpg

Part 2: (Hot Start) http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/4s...roke_vid_b.mpg

Note: Video may take a few minutes to download.

do the cam mod! you'll be glad you did. Made my 426 so much more fun to ride and start.

You know I have heard so many people bitch about starting a 426. I have no troubles with mine. I do have a slight advantage at 6'4 235lbs, but anyone can start it if they do it right.

1. If its cold 2 twists on the thottle

2. pull out your choke

3. put you freggin right hand on the front brake rez DO NOT touch the throttle

4. slowly kick the bike untill the kick starter is hard

5. pull the decompression lever in and kick the engine down about an inch

6. let the kick starter come all the way up

7. kick it all they way through like a man

If it warm already dont hit the throttle, pull the hot start and run through the steps again NO CHOKE NO THROTTLE :thumbsup:

My bike will usally fire on the first shot

fabwiz +1 for you finaly someone not just saying to do the cam mod. Im so tired of hearing about it, its not that hard to start the bike once you get it down you will be able to start it just as fast as with the mod. usually i would be sitting there with my bike running while my buddy is still trying to get his kxf to start.

guys the cam mod is not just about easier starting. The mod changes the power making it more linear. And the bike will bump start if you stall in a corner. My 426 was a easy starter too but it would not bump start and I lost many positions in races going through the drill. Believe it or not the cam mod is worth every dollar and until it is done the full potential of the 426 will not be realized.

Im so tired of hearing about it, its not that hard to start the bike once you get it down you will be able to start it just as fast as with the mod.
$10 to anyone with manual decompression: We each sit on the bike with the kick starter out, foot on it and the engine just where ever it stopped last time it was shut down. First guy with a live engine takes the 10. You'll loose.

i agree with you i also have the mod done but only because i already had the motor apart, im not trying to argue about this but it seems like everytime someone asks about starting the 426 there is always a reply to do the cam mod. imo if they wanted to do the mod any 426 search on here will have pages about it.

Yes gray you are right, Ill accept defeat on this one. I was just generaly speaking about starting your bike.

No I do agree the mod is a good thing for the starting issues. i for one dont race much and I dont fall down alot, again 6'4 240 I can catch the bike alot before it hits the ground :thumbsup: But as for me I dont have the time or the money to do that mod just cuz. If I had the bike torn down and not running I would do the mod along with the Zipty carb rebuild. I just get tired as posted earlier that every time someone says "Oh you have a 426? those bikes are impossible to start with out the cam mod" No they aint.......

Yes gray you are right, Ill accept defeat on this one. I was just generaly speaking about starting your bike.

I was raised on BIG thumpers with manual decompression. I know how to use them, know all the tricks you can do with them, and I'm comfortable with them. I can start most guys 426's in one or two if they run right, no problem. I almost didn't buy a YZ450 in the first place because they didn't have a manual release on them.

But the fact is that the Auto Decomp system makes them faster to start simply by cutting out all of the setup steps in the process; you just kick it. Bump starts and restarts on the fly are vastly easier, also.

i agree with you i also have the mod done but only because i already had the motor apart, im not trying to argue about this but it seems like everytime someone asks about starting the 426 there is always a reply to do the cam mod. imo if they wanted to do the mod any 426 search on here will have pages about it.

Well I guess I was the one who threw in the cam mod first on this thread and so I must defend myself.

I too could start my bike easily the old way with the decompression lever etc. But if you own one of these bikes and can't remember the drill to starting it then perhaps this is the best case for the cam mod as you no longer have to remember the drill. As we know these bikes can be beasts to start if you don't know or don't remember the starting drill. Perhaps if someone can't remember the drill they don't know that this mod exists.

I don't wish to push the mod on anyone but am certainly glad I have changed over mine.

im thinkin about gettin one the only problem is is that i only way 115. im 15 5'7 and athletic.

you think i could kick one over???

Yes..