After the first ride

I reeeealy don't know why I, as a reasonable engineer, would create a black coloured cover that scratches and messes all over after the first ride!!!

We are talking about a new 08 YZ450f after the first dryish 20 km ride (some mud, no water crossings).

Check out the rust on the footpeg too! ?

DSC03298.JPG

Well, speaking as an electronics technician who has worked very closely with electronics engineers for over 20 years, I feel that I can provide one possible answer to your question.

? Engineers think of life in the perfect world of the laboratory. No need to consider taking something apart after it is assembled, after all nothing will break or need maintenance.

That is why you see so many questionable designs out there that you scratch your head at and wonder, "What were they thinking? Who didn't realize that I would need to take my exhaust pipe off to access the filter?":excuseme: :confused:?

Just my .02 cents and YMMV.

? Engineers think of life in the perfect world of the laboratory.

As much as I agree with the underlying principal of what you have said, I will put $5 up right now that no engineer was involved in the decision to use barbecue paint on that clutch cover.
I am baffled. I thought the pegs were Titanium. They are on my 07. Does Titanium rust?
No, it doesn't, and the pegs on US models have been Ti since '04, to the best of my knowledge.

Ok, here's my opinion...they put that crap paint on there on purpose! ? Yes that's right! This will make your bike lose the showroom "bounce" sooner. It looks ragged sooner therefore making you want to buy a new bike. Genius!?

Any powder coating experiments done by a TT'r? Other paint types?

Ok, here's my opinion...they put that crap paint on there on purpose! ? Yes that's right! This will make your bike lose the showroom "bounce" sooner. It looks ragged sooner therefore making you want to buy a new bike. Genius!?

Sounds like a great job in the marketing dept.

waaah, my lightest feeling, most stable, bullet proof motor, best suspended from the factory bike that won the National series and is about to win the SX series has a scuffed engine case cover. C'mon!

waaah, my lightest feeling, most stable, bullet proof motor, best suspended from the factory bike that won the National series and is about to win the SX series has a scuffed engine case cover. C'mon!

So...some people prefer their bike to run and ride good but not look like garbage.?

So...some people prefer their bike to run and ride good but not look like garbage.?
Got mine in July, ride twice a week and every time I ride it, the pure thrill of riding such an awesome bike makes me sorget about such trivial things. Sorry.

Gray, the 2004-2007 pegs were Ti. For 2008 they put wider and lower stainless steel pegs on the YZFs.

I put these same pegs on both my YZ and YZF, and neither of them has any rust on them at all. ?

Yup, for 08 yamaha dropped the ti pegs on the four strokes. Still, stainless shouldn't be rusting. As for the clutch cover, I can guarantee that the engineers had nothing to do with that decision, that is purely cosmetic.

Got mine in July, ride twice a week and every time I ride it, the pure thrill of riding such an awesome bike makes me sorget about such trivial things. Sorry.

No problem... I respect your take on it. One thing I have noticed at our local track is that guys like you are usually faster because they spend more time riding rather than polishing. I am slower but my bike is clean for the the first two laps.

?

Yup, for 08 yamaha dropped the ti pegs on the four strokes. Still, stainless shouldn't be rusting. As for the clutch cover, I can guarantee that the engineers had nothing to do with that decision, that is purely cosmetic.

And down to cost no doubt. Plus gives you the chance to bling it up should you want to.