Snort POP POP POP

The last few days I have been trying out my new to me XR650R. What a fun bike! It's a 2005 and has been used less that 10 hours. The original owner had the local stealership uncork it and install a Pro Circuit T4 slip on. I'm not sure why but they left the smog pump in place. The bike seems to run fine but when you let off the gas it really pops like it is backfiring. The noise is much louder than when you are accelerating. Is this normal with an aftermarket exaust? Or do I need to work on the carb?

In BRP language, that be "taka off da smogification stragulation":eek:

Yeah, what RipperFox said...

You can buy a block-off kit, but I think you could also do it yourself? But, take that off, and do a re-jet, and you should be good to go.

Yeah, get rid of the smog stuff. Make sure to check your jets...sounds a little lean. I didn't notice any kind of performance gain by removing the smog pump, but who needs it anyway.:thumbsup: I just wanted to take a couple pounds off the pig.

The smog pump 'injects' air into the cylinder, to assist in burning off gases that were not previously burnt from combustion. It is supposed to 'pop', as that is the gases burning off. Remove the smog pump, check for uncorking (pipe tip, airbox) and jetting. Then you'll be good.

Thanks for the advice I thought that it might be the pump. I know that it was rejeted because I was given the stock jets and muffler when I got the bike. I'll get rid of the pump and see how she goes.

yea them dealerships are some smart cookies, leave on the smog crap to lean it back out after you just rejetted it.... jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz. Very few good mechanics left anymore that understand the theory behind what they are doing. Mostly parts changers nowdays.

Except Martinfan of course.....

yea them dealerships are some smart cookies, leave on the smog crap to lean it back out after you just rejetted it.... jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz. Very few good mechanics left anymore that understand the theory behind what they are doing. Mostly parts changers nowdays.

Except Martinfan of course.....

:thumbsup:

You said a mouthfull brother!