HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greatgooglymoogly

wr250F versus WR450F

18 posts in this topic

Other than price, is there any reason to buy a Yamaha WR250F rather than a WR450F? More power is a good thing in my view, but I am wondering whether the 250 handles significantly better or is that much easier to ride than the 450. I mainly ride on Virginia farmland (rolling hills and pasture) and woods. Any advice would be very much appreciated. I have been riding something with a motor and 2 wheels for decades, but only sporadically and casually and I have limited knowledge of the finer points (as is evidenced by my question).

For myself, I find the bigger power makes the 450 easier to ride. You are already riding a bike that weighs too much.Its only a few pounds heavier and lots more power. If I had to ride a 250F, I wouldnt. Id go to a YZ250 instead

wr250 has pretty good power . the comparison is similar to a 1000cc crotch rocket to a 600 cc crotch rocket or a 600cc sled to a 1000cc .

they both scare the shit out of you the bigger one just does a little more when you floor it .

The 250F is a lot lighter , a lot easier to ride and will tire you out a lot less. The weight will not be felt in lbs, instead it will be felt in the rotating mass. It feels a lot different.

More power is good sometimes, but also risky at other times.

If you are an experiencec rider, who rides hard and fast in open spaces, then get the 450. You'll need it. if you ride for fun, get the 250f. It will do everything you want it to do and then some.

btw... don' believe anyone who tells you that if you're over 200lbs, then you need a 450. That's bullshit!

btw... don' believe anyone who tells you that if you're over 200lbs, then you need a 450. That's bullshit!

You're right...but the extra power is nice

My cousin goes about 280 lbs w/ gear (6'1") and he can go anywhere the big bikes go on his 250f. He's always complaing about the need for more powah.

I'd imagine his complaints wouldn't be as bad at 210 lbs. B/C of his build, he'd look like a toothpick at that weight.

The big bore can beat you up a bit in really tight stuff. If you ride really technical terrain you will feel fresher after a long ride on the 250 and you will be a little faster. Thats why they make the 250. If you ride more open stuff the 450 is the way to go.

1 person likes this

I have ridden both...I like that little extra bump I get on the 450 in funny spots where the front wheel needs to be eliminated from the equation by picking it up no matter where in the power band I find myself. Or when I get surprised and need a little more than I thought I was gonna need.:thumbsup:

I own both. I use the 250 in the tight woods and the 450 when it opens up more.

Both bikes are slugs stock but the 250 is really, really slow.

My 250 has a big bore kit and a pipe and runs really sweet.

The aluminum framed WR's are light years ahead of the steel framed bikes.

The aluminum framed WR's are light years ahead of the steel framed bikes.

As much as I hate to, I have to agree with you on that one. I rode an '08 for a few minutes the other day and it has completely ruined me for my '06. Although they are close to the same weight, the distribution makes the new bikes feel sooo much lighter and more nimble. I fear my short trip on the newer bike will cost me quite a bit of money in the near future.

Daniel

It really depends on what type of rider you are and your physical size. I’ll coment from the noob perspective.

If you are a 6 foot tall novice, then I’d say 450 all the way. The torq makes it easy to ride. You can tractor up a lot of stuff even if you are not so good with a clutch or gear selection. And gives you the option of trying out lots of rear tires.

My buddy was right on the edge of getting a WR250, he is 175 pounds 5 foot 8. Never owned a dirt bike. He got a 08 WR450 after riding mine. He does dump the bike a lot in slow tight single track, but the thing is that he usually dumps it after he has stalled it ( I’d hate to think how much he would stall a 250). He gets a lot of use of his fastways hand guards. Once it starts to tip over his short legs and lack of strength just can’t keep the bike up. He doesn’t regret getting the 450 at all.

I'm still riding my 02 WR426 and would love a 450 just for the elecric start.:thumbsup:

Get the bigger bike your skill level will catch up:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

07 WR 450 with mods I moved from a 2 stroke 250 to the 450 its nice to have gops of torque. Steering is light and on open ground it screams but I can relate to its weight on slow tight terrain you have to pay attention.

It comes down to seat time the more you ride your bike the better are to adapt to its cariteristics.

i owned both.

i recommend 250 to ride fast easier in the woods or serious condition.

i recommend 450 to ride fast in the desert or to have a lot of fun.

agreed i have a 05 450 and i dont know how many times my buddy just cruises right past me on an xr 200

been riding for 24 years off road, i wish i had a 250 but i dont want to become a speed bump on the highway

open riding/ 4 wheeler trails a 450 is a blast

tight technical stuff (goat path) the 450 turns your body to jello

I ride a 450 and my bro has a 250. In the super tight stuff i feel the 450 does great but i ride alot 10-15 hours a weekend. I can pull the front up so much easier and the power can be tamed if u just practice alot. So in a nutshell get a 450 cause in the long run you will be faster maybe not at first but u will catch up to the monster and whip it into shape.

As much as I hate to, I have to agree with you on that one. I rode an '08 for a few minutes the other day and it has completely ruined me for my '06. Although they are close to the same weight, the distribution makes the new bikes feel sooo much lighter and more nimble. I fear my short trip on the newer bike will cost me quite a bit of money in the near future.

Daniel

I must just be getting comfortable on my 04. I rode a newer bike and liked mine better.I didnt feel as squished on it.The seat may be taller, but it was easier to stand and my bike turns really well now since I set it up right

If I had to buy a new bike now, I dont know what I would get. I like the way mine feels.

I've had both the 250 and the 450. My 04 WR450 is my favorite by a mile. I'm only 5'7 and 160lbs. I've done all of the free mods to my bike, and I've professionaly lowered it 1.5 inches front and back. I aboslutley love this bike.:thumbsup:

I also have both 04 wr250 and I just bought a new 07 wr450. my 250 has all the mods and in the woods the only way you get left behind is by a better rider. But if you ride the farmland alot (out in the open) you will definately want the 450. I'm still learning to get comfortable on the 450. It will take time in the seat, but it's gonna be worth it in the end to have the power when you need it.:thumbsup: