RSW Fork Brace Makes Me Nervous

I installed the RSW fork brace on my 07 XR650L. It has the stock forks, tires and rims. I’m concerned about the clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the brace. It is only a little over 1/4 inch. I see other pictures of other XR650L's and the clearance looks to be about one inch or so. I have it mounted as high as it will go without putting it on the part of the forks that flairs out where the seals are. I don’t think it would fit any higher anyway. Is this normal/safe?

That distance between the brace and the tire is fixed. It will never increase or decrease unless you bend your lower fork tubes, in which case I think you'll have plenty other to worry about.

The brace should go as high as possible, there is a lip that you should rest it against. Sounds like you have it a bit low. Just make sure it isnt mounted upside down...?

I don't have a fork brace, but will share some practical experience.

On my superbikes the rear tires do expand in circumference,in fact you can watch the big donut round out when on the dyno, but we are talking about 190hp and 180+/- mph. The front tires do expand a bit, but you will notice the fenders on superbikes are no more than 1/2" off the tire with no problems even at those speeds.

Keep an eye on it for black rubbing marks on the first few rides. I would think that mud or rocks may cause a problem.

For effectiveness sake; the closer the brace is to the tire the better the performance.

Keep it under 150mph and you should be fine:thumbsup:

Yeah...im not worried about the tire hitting it. I understand its fixed. Im more concerned about running over a rag or something on the road, having it get kicked up between the brace and the tire, and getting launched over the bars. I know...dont run over anything. ?

Yeah...im not worried about the tire hitting it. I understand its fixed. Im more concerned about running over a rag or something on the road, having it get kicked up between the brace and the tire, and getting launched over the bars. I know...dont run over anything. ?

That won't happen unless the rag is attached to a board with nails, and then you've got bigger problems. ?

What do you mean "don't ride over anything"? That's what the big pig is for! Go forth my friend, ascend upon as many objects as possible, and with the extra confidence and stability of a fork brace:worthy:

It is your duty as a BRP owner:ride:

For effectiveness sake; the closer the brace is to the tire the better the performance.

I'm not sure I follow...the point of the brace it to reinforce the forks by adding rigidity to the skinny tubes of the fork. The axle and the lower triple are last two points of reinforcement. Wouldnt you want to get the brace as close to mid axle-triple as possible, since that would be where you get the most flex? If so, the brace should go as close to the skinny fork tubes as possible, i.e. higher.

One time, out in the woods, a stick got stuck in my front knobs and threw me right to the ground when it wedged in the brace. It took a while to figure out what was going on when I couldn't get rolling again.

Make sure it isn't on backwards. Not sure about the RSW, but I know from personal experience that the SRC brace can be installed backwards, which it puts it MUCH closer to the tire, and makes it look angled as if it is sitting there waiting to trap something between it and the tire.

These bikes are supposed to be ridden with the front wheel in the air at all times, doing this eliminates the need for a brace and the worries that something will get caught in the brace. ?